Broken Tensioner, 87 Fiero L4 by z1motorcars
Started on: 10-23-2013 06:05 PM
Replies: 7 (132 views)
Last post by: DimeMachine on 10-24-2013 04:39 PM
z1motorcars

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm replacing the belt on my L4. Tried adjusting the tensioner. I turned my belt wrench clockwise which I thought was the way to loosen the tension, well it ended up removing the pulley (I thought. ) To add to the excitement, I pulled the tensioner to see what was going on, discovered a slight problem, it's broken which I must have done. I also didn't feel much spring pressure although I have to admit I'm now confused as to exactly how it works. BTW - I do see the tension marks. Repairable or $100.00 to replace?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like it is prity toast. Unless you want to pull the little aluminium stub off, weld it back on, re-tap the hole, exc. I would just replace it. It is one of those parts that if your repair fails, you are more or less stuck. No alternator, no water pump, and the way life works, it would happen when you are the farthest from home and have something urgent to do. Parts like that I just do it once and do it right.
z1motorcars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amen to that. Still not sure where I went wrong, I didn't feel any spring pressure at all.
z1motorcars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

z1motorcars

22 posts
Member since Oct 2013
I just took the tensioner apart, it has no spring pressure. The mechanic that last changed the belt left the tensioner at its stop, found a belt that he could wiggle over the pulleys, maybe the old engine bump trick, and left it like that.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace it and
See my Cave, Serpent Belt

Wrong belt can wreck the Tensioner.
Might be ok in a catalog/computer but can still be wrong for you car. Alt pulley size and others things make car take a longer/shorter belt.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had that happen to me on a low mileage fiero. I ended up replacing it. Not a cheap part either.
vizzionn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vizzionnSend a Private Message to vizzionnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced mine too on my 88 2.5 duke costed me 106 at rock auto
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one that is in perfect shape and about 8 years old (broke the original just like you did). I kept it when I swapped the 3.800 engine in. $50 plus shipping if you want it. I can grab it and take some pics if needed.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 10-24-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock