Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Opening on side of block, what goes there?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Opening on side of block, what goes there? by gtemplet
Started on: 10-23-2013 04:14 PM
Replies: 10 (259 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 10-23-2013 11:57 PM
gtemplet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtempletSend a Private Message to gtempletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finishing up my 2.8 V6 rebuild and I don't have enough parts (plenty of extra bolts though) there is a machined surface with 2 threaded holes and a larger opening (about 1in) in the middle. The opening is on the oil filter side a/c compressor corner. It appears it would be a coolant passage. What connects to this? I can't remember removing anything from this location. I searched a lot of pictures but anything I found the compressor was in the way. Thanks for looking, any help is appreciated.

[This message has been edited by gtemplet (edited 10-23-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the engine torque shock bolted in place? It's just to the drivers side of the oil filter.
gtemplet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtempletSend a Private Message to gtempletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I have the torque shock, the opening is above that. I'm at work or I'd take a picture.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was guessing oil pressure sending unit, until I saw 1" opening......
gtemplet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtempletSend a Private Message to gtempletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you were looking at the side of the block it would be along the edge of the timing cover. If the coolant hose that runs thru the compressor bracket opening wer installed it would hide the machine surface/hole.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtemplet:

If you were looking at the side of the block it would be along the edge of the timing cover. If the coolant hose that runs thru the compressor bracket opening wer installed it would hide the machine surface/hole.

yikes - a mechanical fuel pump??
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure could be a fuel pump mount, that would be the right place. Larry
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's where the fuel pump would mount on a carbureted engine. The hole in the middle shouldn't go all the way through, because it isn't drilled out on fuel injected engines.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gtemplet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtempletSend a Private Message to gtempletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you gentlemen. I guess I should have painted over it then. Getting old sucks, I would have sworn I didn't take anything off from there but there was a nice machined surface there so something had to go there. I looked all over the garage and basement (wife isn't to happy about parts in basement lol) for something that would fit there. Thanks again guys.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, was I out of the ball park with the torque shock. The picture wouldn't load for me until just now and I couldn't see that big hole. That is one nice looking engine. Very clean.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock