Does this part belong? by Cajun
Started on: 10-23-2013 05:51 AM
Replies: 11 (598 views)
Last post by: Bloozberry on 10-24-2013 07:58 PM
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I recently removed the nose (front bumper) from my '86 GT to do fog light installation and to investigate a bumping noise in the front bumper area. When I removed the bumper I discovered that the egg crate (energy asorbing material) had separated from the body. The plastic attaching the egg crate to the body had broken. I also notice that there was another piece of energy asorbing material under the egg crate on the right side. I checked the P22 for what the piece was called only to discover it is not shown in the manual.

My question: Does this piece belong on the car and if so, should there not be one on the left side also.

Sorry, I have tried to get the image to post but have been unsuccessful.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is all that needs to be there:

Many cars still have two plastic blocks attached to the underside of the bumper area that are made of the same material, but those were supposed to be removed by the dealerships since they were meant for shipping purposes.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-23-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:
Many cars still have two plastic blocks attached to the underside of the bumper area that are made of the same material, but those were supposed to be removed by the dealerships since they were meant for shipping purposes.

Are you sure? I thought they were additional support pieces for the bottom of the aero nose. Every Fiero I've owned (all GTs) has had them.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are supposed to be two separate egg-crate blocks in the rear on aero cars, in addition to the much larger piece, but not in the front.

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Referencing "Boozberry's" photo (Front), the energy asorbing block was located to the right of the right turn signal light. I suspect on the left side the energy asorbing block was located on the left of the signal light.

I kinka like those energy asorbing blocks being installed. I would like to acquire one before I re-install the front fender. If anyone has a spare energy block and willing to part with it for a reasonable price please PM me.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

Referencing "Boozberry's" photo (Front), the energy asorbing block was located to the right of the right turn signal light. I suspect on the left side the energy asorbing block was located on the left of the signal light.

I kinka like those energy asorbing blocks being installed. I would like to acquire one before I re-install the front fender. If anyone has a spare energy block and willing to part with it for a reasonable price please PM me.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I just pulled the nose of my 87 and the center section of the egg crate feel off - broken plastic rivets - leaving the 2 outer pieces to the left and the right of the turn signals - originally, this is one piece - there are small plastic tabs that hold it together and the tabs failed. Sounds like you have the sane thing and you have lost the outer piece.
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what the energy asorbing block looks like.

This is where they belong................

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

There are supposed to be two separate egg-crate blocks in the rear on aero cars, in addition to the much larger piece, but not in the front.

The front definitely used to have them. My 1987 Fiero SE had them back in the day. I've owned the car since 1996 when it only had 70k miles on it.

Of course, I was young and dumb, and when they started sagging, I pulled them off and threw them away. I don't really know that they served any real purpose, but the greater part of my car's life, they've never been on.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps some of you misunderstood what I said. The front blocks aren't energy absorbing material like the egg crate versions found in the rear. In an earlier thread (which I can't seem to find right now), a PFF'er who seemed to have direct knowledge regarding the purpose of them (I believe he worked at a dearlership) stated that the front ones were for shipping purposes and were supposed to be removed at time of delivery.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The blocks are for towing with the old sling style tow trucks and a 4x4 piece of wood. Since that method of towing isn't used anymore, I just remove them on my cars.

More info and discussion in this thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-085198.html
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Suspect that I will remove the right block and continue with the re-install of the bumper.

PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the clarification Fieroguru.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock