Please Look at These Pics & Help Me by FieroJosh1993
Started on: 10-21-2013 06:43 PM
Replies: 13 (579 views)
Last post by: FieroJosh1993 on 10-25-2013 09:10 PM
FieroJosh1993

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I am starting to get oil in the intake and I can smell it out the exhaust. its coming up through the valve cover right here. http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4052/jve5.jpg

Hopefully these pics work.

So anyways, what is this thing. I can pull it out of the valve cover. Im guessing oil should not be coming up through there. If im right where can I buy a replacement.

Thanks,

Josh

[This message has been edited by FieroJosh1993 (edited 10-21-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the parts manual, that's the crankcase vent valve or the equivalent of the PCV valve. If it's plugged, the pressure will build in the crankcase from combustion gasses blowing past the piston rings and will try to escape anywhere it can like the oil pan seal, valve cover seal, etc. You should be able to get a new one easily at any parts store.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok cool, Thanks for the help man.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJosh1993

273 posts
Member since Sep 2012
I just did some searching online and all I could find are the things called breather filters. is that the same thing just the modern version?? This is what came up when i searched for crankcase vent valve.

http://www.autozone.com/aut...ther-Filter/_/N-25xh

[This message has been edited by FieroJosh1993 (edited 10-21-2013).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My mistake... the component you showed in your photo isn't the equivalent of the PCV valve on the four cylinder engine. It's probably just an oil filter of sorts to prevent oil vapour from condensing in the lines. Nevertheless, the problem you're suffering is still likely a plugged PCV valve, which is in the line that goes from that vent to the carburettor. Here's link to what you probably need: http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=52164&d=236&p=1

You can test your old PCV valve by unplugging it and making sure it rattles when you shake it. You should also only be able to blow through it one way.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have bad rings, even a good PCV valve isn't gong to prevent oil problems. Is oil in your air filter?
commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could be blow-by caused by bad rings. As Top Notch asked, any oil in the air cleaner?
A quick check for blow-by is to removed the oil filler cap and see if it is puffing air. It should be neutral or a slight vacuum.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem in my Oldsmobuick station wagon. As the blow by from worn rings increases, the Duke will progressively blow more and more oil through this 'fresh air' filter into the intake. Eventually it will soak your air filter. A stuck PCV valve could cause this if it is not caused by a worn engine and PCV valves are cheap so do that first. In my case, it was a death knell from the Duke, it failed spectacularly soon after.

In this picture you can see the PCV valve next to the oil cap. The intake routes over/sandwiches the 'fresh air' filter on the other side, and as the engine blows hot oil vapor into the intake the throttlebody sucks it towards the air filter.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 10-22-2013).]

ag9123

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
www.rockauto.com has the correct (hard to find) crankcase breather element. It's listed under the "emissions" section.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry its taken so long to answer. School takes up a ton of time. As of right now there is just a little bit of oil on the air filter. I can smell it out the exhaust. There is a small amount of oil in the air filter/ intake housing. I really hope its not rings. I only have 77620 miles on the car.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJosh1993

273 posts
Member since Sep 2012
Ok so I just did the quick test that was suggested. I didn't feel a puffing sensation. It was a steady sensation of air. But I could tell if it was blowing out of the engine or sucking in. I put my hand over the fill hole and I felt a small amount of vacuum pulling on my hand. Not like if u put your hand on a vacuum cleaner, it wasn't that strong. Is there any other tests I can do to try and rule out worn rings?
PFF
System Bot
commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is low mileage for bad rings.
Wipe everything up, replace the pcv valve, and check again later.
Hopefully you will be fine.

[This message has been edited by commerce (edited 10-23-2013).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJosh1993:

Ok so I just did the quick test that was suggested. I didn't feel a puffing sensation. It was a steady sensation of air. But I could tell if it was blowing out of the engine or sucking in. I put my hand over the fill hole and I felt a small amount of vacuum pulling on my hand. Not like if u put your hand on a vacuum cleaner, it wasn't that strong. Is there any other tests I can do to try and rule out worn rings?

New PCV valve and like commerce says, clean it up and go. My worn ring problem was fairly obvious. They don't have to necessarily be worn, they could be stuck from sitting a long time as well. It really depends on the history of the car.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gonna drive it for a few days and see what happens. I'll let you guys know.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock