Started on: 10-21-2013 01:06 PM
Replies: 9 (164 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-22-2013 02:02 PM
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My clutch pedal makes groaning noise when I operate it. It sounds sort of like a slide whistle but lower in pitch. I disconnected the rod and operated the pedal. No noise. When I put the rod back on the noise was gone but after a day it has came back.

I think it is the master cylinder. I don't see any sign of a leak around the rod. The pedal is pretty stiff to push and I could not push the rod in by hand when it was disconnected.

Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?

TIA

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the banjo rod not upside-down.
What about Bob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for What about BobSend a Private Message to What about BobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are bushings in the clutch pedal mount/pivot that may be the cause of the noise
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, the wavy washer is probably on the wrong side of the banjo. Can't remember which is the right side, but move it and try again.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Also, the wavy washer is probably on the wrong side of the banjo. Can't remember which is the right side, but move it and try again.

I don't know how it's supposed to come from the factory, but the way I do it is to have the "wavy washer" between the banjo and the pedal and a thin flat washer between the banjo and the retaining pin.

I suspect the "noise" is coming from the nylon bearings in the pedal assembly which are either worn or in need of lubrication.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the 22P, the order for the build-up is for the spring washer to be installed on the pedal pin first, then the banjo, then the hardened flat washer, and finally the retaining clip.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Fiero Store's steel clutch pedal. According to them the bushing is "Not required and will not fit The Fiero Store's replacement clutch pedal." Does anyone with that pedal have a noise?

Oh, and yes the banjo is on the right way.

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 10-21-2013).]

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1MohrFiero

4363 posts
Member since Apr 2003

Originally posted by Patrick:
I suspect the "noise" is coming from the nylon bearings in the pedal assembly which are either worn or in need of lubrication.

I tried this first, but I may get a new set and see what happens. I am not sure which job I don't want to do most -- remove that pedal again or change the master cylinder.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys. If no one has had a master cylinder cause this kind of noise maybe that is a good sign. I just have to cure that noise before I loose my mind.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:
Does anyone with that pedal have a noise?

I have the Fiero Store's replacement clutch pedal and it doesn't make any noise.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd spray lube the joints/bushings and see if it goes away.

Liquid wrech "dry lubricant" is nice.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock