Indy Wheel Restoration by animal
Started on: 10-21-2013 10:49 AM
Replies: 6 (427 views)
Last post by: GTMN on 10-24-2013 07:43 PM
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having my Indy's wheels restored, but the company will not do the red stripe. I have the red stripe decal. Any special advice for applying the stripe? Do you spray clear over it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would spray over it, but you could talk to a body shop and ask them. You could also find a place to paint on the stripe (a good body shop that does pinstripping with paint).
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received the same price quote to refurbish my wheels, Tom. Is Wednesday still on for the trip south?
animal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I'll give you a call tomorrow to set up the time. I have to get the tires removed tomorrow.

Originally posted by Old Lar:

I received the same price quote to refurbish my wheels, Tom. Is Wednesday still on for the trip south?

animal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

animal

200 posts
Member since Jul 2005
Thanks, but I was hoping for a response from someone who has used the decals on their Indy wheels.

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I would spray over it, but you could talk to a body shop and ask them. You could also find a place to paint on the stripe (a good body shop that does pinstripping with paint).

animal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any Indy owner done this using the decals from Fierosails???
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have put Fierosail's red stripes on a set of centerline wheels for my Indy. I put them on dry and it is a bit tricky but can be done. It would probably work easier with some soapy water so they can be moved around as needed. When I did it, I cut a ring about 3-4 inches wide, out of hardboard that is just a bit smaller diameter than the machined aluminum ring that the stripe goes on. the idea is that it gives you a center surface level with the machined edge to lay the transfer paper on. ( you will have to experiment with the size of the hole in the center). Then I cut a hole out of the center of the transfer paper roughly the size of the inner diameter of your hardboard ring. Then I cut fairly closely around the outer edge of the red decal, but left a 1/2 inch square tab of transfer paper outside the decal about every 3 inches all the way around. This gives you something to grab a hold of to move and center the decal on the rim before rubbing it down to apply it.
this is all best done with the wheel on a rotating bar stool or turntable of some sort so you can easily turn the wheel as you work.
If you want, shoot me your e-mail and I can send you some pictures that will make all this much clearer.

Hope this helps,
Mark

In hindsight, if I ever do it again, I will have a body shop paint them on. It was a bit of work to do this, but like anything else Fiero, the result was it's own reward.

[This message has been edited by GTMN (edited 10-24-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock