3800 what in the devil wrong by IIKool
Started on: 10-19-2013 05:04 PM
Replies: 7 (322 views)
Last post by: IIKool on 10-23-2013 10:41 AM
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me see if I can if I can explain this crazy car. This weekend is bike week in Daytona bch. So I took the car out this morning had it wash. Drove down main street check out all the cool bikes and everybody was checking out the Wind Dancer too, so enjoy all the cool comment the biker was making they where all good. Went on home pick the wife all went by her shop and drop off some paint. Was going back up to main street to check some more of the bikes. Here comes trouble, I'm about a mile from main street in the middle of one of the busiest intersection in Daytona Bike Week and guess what happens, this sucker just quitl right in the middle of the intersection. My wife and I push this sucker completely across one lane of traffic on the side out of the way. Called a tow truck, and was wondering how he was going to get it on a flat bed, car is lower about a inch and a half with a front spoiler, know what I mean. Well keep trying to start the sucker and nothing, starter spinning the motor like crazy no start. So just said the heck with it and put it on the flat bed, that another story in it self. Got the Dancer home with $ 100.00 buck less in my pocket. Got it off the flat bed, another story. Push it in it parking space got into it turn the switch and guzoom it starts right out and runs like alsolutly on problem. Now is there a problem or did he just get tired and wanted a ride home. Car 87 GT with a 3800 SC. Any ideas
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any codes could be the crank position sensor starting to go or the fuel pump cut out due to heat or a bad wiring connection even some where. Dan
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your ICM ground wire.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatboth these guys said...I have ran into the same issue with both being one of those problems. When it was the ground wire it would do it only during the hot months....when it was icm harness it was a no start..

IIKool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Whatboth these guys said...I have ran into the same issue with both being one of those problems. When it was the ground wire it would do it only during the hot months....when it was icm harness it was a no start..

Could you go into a little more detail on these, like where would the ground problem be, like where would the ICM on this engine be, and what about the harness? Thanks
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ignition control module or coil pack has its own short harness that connects the crank position sensor (side of harmonic balancer) to the cam position sensor (just under water pump) to the coil packs and through an 8 pin connector to the rest of the engine wire harness. The ground is in the small harness to a lug or bolt usually just under the super charger belt tensioner. Dan
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an issue years ago back when I had the L36 (3800 Series 2 N/A) engine in my car where it would start shutting off if it was raining. Found that water was getting into the crank sensor connector and this was shorting out the output signal enough that it would shut the engine down. I couldn't find anything in particular wrong with the connector seal or connector itself, so I just stuffed the crank sensor side of the connector full of dielectric grease and plugged it back in. Never had a problem after that.

Check your crank sensor connector, ignition module connector, and ignition wiring harness to main PCM harness connectors for water/moisture. If any is found, check to make sure the seals for these connectors are good. IF not, replace them. If so, try packing them full of dielectric grease and see if that fixes it. Wouldn't hurt to check all the other electrical connectors on the PCM harness to make sure they are all dry.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

IIKool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone tell me if you can test the ICM and the crank sensor? If so how? I have to get she fixed she seems so sad just sitting in the garage sleeping

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock