Best oil for a 3800sc? by NetCam
Started on: 10-19-2013 02:59 PM
Replies: 19 (1234 views)
Last post by: mark1970 on 10-24-2013 06:14 PM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a quick search but didn't find anything on what is the preferred oil to run in the 3800sc. Anybody have any preferences, theories etc? I do live in a cold climate, but garage store the car so I don't drive it in winter. Over the years I've heard all kinds of advice, but thought it might be a good idea to get suggestions from some folks that are running the same application. So..... 5W 30, 10W 40, 10W 50, 20W 50.....?? Also, any brands to avoid? I remember back when I have my '68 Firebird everybody said to stay away from Quaker Mistake, but that was a very long time ago.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil is oil for the most part. It's not like it's some crazy race engine. Can't go wrong with synthetic. I use Mobile 1 5w40 turbo diesel oil or 5w40 Rotella T6

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of going to synthetic, but I usually change my oil every spring. Would it be worth the extra money to go synthetic, or maybe I should just extend my oil change interval? I drive about 4,000 miles or so a year.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was a long time Mobil1 fan but recently switched to Pennzoil Ultra, I think that's about the best oil that is readily available on the shelf right now, and cheap too (5qt $26 at walmart).. The oil analysis I have seen with it are really good, even at higher change intervals. But I guess in the end it's all about preference and most synthetic oils available will be fine if changed regularly.. As far as filters go though don't use fram or delco (delco had some quality control issues with filters).

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The general rule is if it is boosted, it gets premium gas and synthetic oil. Audi learned that lesson years ago.

(I had a big post here with an experiment that logged over 100,000 miles I did on using an unusual synthetic homemade blend, but I'd prob take a bit of flack for it)

So in answer to your question, oil brand doesn't matter. They all meet the same specs....unless noted by the manufacturer for certain vehicles, but the stuff you buy at Pep Boys is all the same.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Oil is oil for the most part. It's not like it's some crazy race engine. Can't go wrong with synthetic. I use Mobile 1 5w40 turbo diesel oil or 5w40 Rotella T6

Used to run Mobile 1 but swapped to Rotella likre Justin mentioned above now..
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion (and it is JUST my opinion), use the same type of oil that was used when that engine came out of the factory.
Flat tappet engines need more wear inhibitors than roller tappet engines. That, historically, has been provided by non-synthetic oils. This does not mean that synthetic oils are bad for your engine.
With the latest environmental changes in the oil industry, there are some wear inhibitors that have seen a large reduction in the amount included in oils. Unfortunately they were needed for flat tappet engines. They are still there, just in reduced amounts.
With my engines that are flat tappet I use oils designed for diesel engines. They have more of the wear inhibitors because of the heavy loads that diesel engines undergo. Diesel oils also meet the minimum specs for my engines. I've checked. This doesn't mean they will meet minimums for yours.
You could also use additives you add yourself. You can buy them. You just have to find them. Some places don't carry it.
A bit of a read but good info if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil
You can find the use designations in that too. You have been checking the oil you use to make sure it meets minimum specs for your engine, right?
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run amsoil 5w30..
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run Royal Purple 5W30 synthetic in both 3800 SC engines as well as my turbo 3.4 push rod engine.

Nelson
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Oil in the Super Charger ??
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

What Oil in the Super Charger ??

GM supercharger oil.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up some Penzoil Platinum 5W30, $27 for 5 quarts
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

I was thinking of going to synthetic, but I usually change my oil every spring. Would it be worth the extra money to go synthetic, or maybe I should just extend my oil change interval? I drive about 4,000 miles or so a year.

Regardless of what oil you use, you're going to have to keep changing it annually. Oil filters are not designed to remain in service for more than a year, and oil will oxidize and break down just sitting there. You should always change your oil and filter once a year regardless of mileage - otherwise you're asking for a filter to fall apart while the engine is running (VERY bad) or incur damage from oil that is no longer doing its job.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is only a matter of time before they start making fleece filters for all cars...even as an aftermarket upgrade. Mercedes and Audi use them and they last 15,000 miles and don't fall apart like the paper ones. I still wouldn't go 15,000 miles on an oil change though.

Dave
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Earlier 3800 SC's called for 10w30 rather than 5w. Why the change? Does anyone know if the engine were modified? Mine calls for 10W30 and I always wondered if I would be better off with 5.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On modern oil with a proper filter I wouldn't worry, personally, about 15k. Two gallons of synthetic oil (what my Jag takes, anyway) and a proper filter should be fine for 15k. Honestly, I'll bet a traditionally designed filter with modern synthetic elements could do that sort of range - but time is still a killer. Back when I was driving for a living, I'd rack up 30k-40k a year and did 10k changes with Mobil 1 (back when it was good) and a slightly oversized Mobil 1 filter. Never had any problems on my boosted four cylinder.

As for 5w30, more likely than not the change was for fuel economy. In the mid/late '90s everyone switched to "energy conserving" 5w-30, before then going on to 5w-20 in many new motors. It was a solid way to bump CAFE numbers without the reengineering of anything.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I run Royal Purple 5W30 synthetic in both 3800 SC engines as well as my turbo 3.4 push rod engine.

Nelson

Same here and I use a Wix filter
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use amsoil and mobile 1 filter in 3800 and N*.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

What is the reason for running 40? I have 5w-30 in mine and the gauge pegs when cold or above idle.
mark1970

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

GM supercharger oil.

the SC oil is nothing more than jet engine turbine oil, re bottled in small bottles, it is ester based. when I had my GTP I did a lot of research on the mystery oil gm and eaton sells at an adv. $12 a bottle and you need two of those to do a change.... I found the company that makes it for them Nye lubricants and checked the tech sheet and yes it is turbine oil....

so what I used was Aero Shell 500 oil cost about $11-13 a quart and you can get it at any airport or order it online.....

links to tech sheets

http://productsearch.nyelub...ETIC%20OIL%20605.pdf

http://globalindustrialsolu...e-oil-500-data-sheet

[This message has been edited by mark1970 (edited 10-24-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay