Fuel for Winter Storage by FieroGT1986
Started on: 10-19-2013 01:41 PM
Replies: 10 (186 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-21-2013 01:57 PM
FieroGT1986

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT1986Send a Private Message to FieroGT1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Am I better off filling the tank before storage or running it low and adding stabalizer? Thank You
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fill it with stabilizer and some "dry" gas. An empty tank can collect moisture which will corrode the tank interior.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on who you listen too. I store mine nearly empty. Then I drive it every few weeks and add enough to make it the same as it was. Ive never had a problem. New gas isnt worth a crap after it sets all winter. I drain it out of everything...lawnmower, weedeater, etc. I have forgot and left gas (w/stabil) in my port generator before and everytime it was a 4 hour ordeal to get it started again.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fill mine and add stabil, been doing that for the last 4yrs and it fires up and runs great every spring. Don't forget to put a battery tender on it also.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fill and use stabilzer. Never had a problem, ever storing multiple years on the same gas.
northstar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-19-2013 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northstarSend a Private Message to northstarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
qwite expensive ..tubo blue lasts along time in the tank (years I was told)
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fing a station that sells non-oxygenated premium.

Non-oxygenated has a good shelf life compared to oxygenated fuel and stores better without causing varnish buildup.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I drain it out of everything...lawnmower, weedeater, etc. I have forgot and left gas (w/stabil) in my port generator before and everytime it was a 4 hour ordeal to get it started again.

Really?? I never drain my Craftsman lawnmower...it sits about 5 months and always starts first pull in the spring without stabilizer. Gas should be great for about a year, then start to degrade. ...of course everyone has their own experiences... (never had a problem with the generator either....but that tends to be run more often)
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some research has shown newer gas starts degrading after just a month. It also absorbs water. If I leave my plane set for a month (filled to top) I can drain out pints of water. Planes have special drains built in just for that purpose. If Im going to have it set longer, I have the FBO drain all the fuel and refill it with fresh. 200 miles out over the ocean is not the place you want to find out you have bad gas in a single engine plane.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Some research has shown newer gas starts degrading after just a month. It also absorbs water. If I leave my plane set for a month (filled to top) I can drain out pints of water. Planes have special drains built in just for that purpose. If Im going to have it set longer, I have the FBO drain all the fuel and refill it with fresh. 200 miles out over the ocean is not the place you want to find out you have bad gas in a single engine plane.

What type of fuel are planes running?

BTW, I would think that a little water in an automotive tank isn't too bad, until an airplane tank, which has drains for such cases (to remove the water).

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 10-21-2013).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
100-110 octane low lead. Like I already said, planes all have a spring loaded drain at the lowest end of the tank. You use a plastic cup that has a long pin in the center that opens the valve and drains the water into the cup. You drain it for a few seconds/ or all water is out everytime you do a preflight check.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock