clutch pedal locked solid by countryboy1993
Started on: 10-19-2013 01:53 AM
Replies: 8 (683 views)
Last post by: countryboy1993 on 10-27-2013 10:25 PM
countryboy1993

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countryboy1993Send a Private Message to countryboy1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi yall i need some help i just converted from a 4 speed to a 5 speed and ive run in to a big issue so i bought all needed items including a new clutch master cylinder and havent bought a new slave because my getrag had one on it. i bled the slave out and have fluid coming through and no air in it but when you push the clutch pedal the pedal moves but then imediately locks solid. can any one possibly tell me what the issue is.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like a mechanical interference to me, and there really are only two places where you can get that kind of stoppage. The first is an easy fix. Check to make sure that the pinch bolt that holds the clutch lever to the transmission shaft isn't catching on the bell housing as it rotates. Here's a photo of what I mean:

The second area is much harder to solve since it is likely an issue with your throw-out bearing or clutch plate. If the clutch plate was installed backwards, the snout on the hub may prevent the throw out bearing from travelling the whole amount it needs to release the clutch. On the other hand, if the throw out bearing was incorrectly installed, it too may be causing the interference. In either case it means separating the engine from the transmission again.
countryboy1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countryboy1993Send a Private Message to countryboy1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks a lot i really needed some advice
GreenPlatypus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an 84 that did that. The slave cylinder was seized. I cracked the bleeder screw and tried to push the piston back, it would not move. With the slave cylinder unbolted from the bracket and pressing the clutch pedal, it still would not budge. Replaced the slave cylinder and all was well.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check to make sure nothign in hanging up the clutch mechanisum under the dash. Put some rags around the slave and crack open the blead screw and see if you can push down the clutch. Now you know where to look. Larry
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 sat in a warehouse for 10yrs, everything was locked up solid. Frozen master and slave.
countryboy1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countryboy1993Send a Private Message to countryboy1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
clutch slave is working
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a problem like this when I converted a 84 4 speed to a v8 5 speed. My issue was the slave cylinder would push once, then get stuck and not return when you released the pedal. The next time you tried to push the pedal it would barely move, and would make a terrible noise from the bell housing if the engine was running. I figured out that the slave cylinder was moving too far, causing binding. I made a stopper on the bell housing to prevent the slave cylinder from moving too far and didn't have any issues after that.
countryboy1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countryboy1993Send a Private Message to countryboy1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey thanks to every on for the advice the throw out bearing fell off of the arm got it back on and now the car runs great

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock