series 1 3800 by 86Fieroman
Started on: 10-17-2013 10:03 PM
Replies: 11 (589 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 11-23-2013 12:34 PM
86Fieroman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking into a possible 3800 swap for my fiero and have been wondering what it would all entail. I have read that a series 2 is a better swap but i have a 1988 delta with a 3800 in it that i attained for almost nothing so that is what i would use. I have the whole car that runs just fine but is extremely rotted so it is unsafe to drive. I am wondering if i could use the computer out of the olds and if that would be fairly easy or how that would all hook up. How does the exhaust work out as a read that could be a problem? Also, is there any problem with engine clearance under the deck lid? I am trying to size up how much work this would be if i did it this winter. Otherwise i will most likely be looking into rebuilding my 2.8. The 3800 would just be a stock engine out of a 1988 delta oldsmobile. As a side not, I recently went around a round about and i know how left turns mess with the oil pressure gauge in fieros but as i went around the turn the engine started pinging, but ended as soon as i pulled out of the round about. Why would that be?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes you can do a S1 3800 swap. You would use the S1 PCM. 88 is consider pre-series 1.
MarkS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One consideration might be the transmission. If your Fiero is a manual trans and plan to keep it that way then you'll need a custom flywheel, not cheap at least $250-$300; at that point you are well on your way to the cost of a Series 2 NA 3800 where you can use a cut down Camaro / Firebird flywheel. If its an automatic the flywheel thing goes away of course.

BR's,

Mark
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped a 3800 and its automatic tranny into my 85 coupe.

The motor and tranny and all the wiring from the engine to the ECM and as much other wiring from the ECM to the car were pulled, it's easier to work with what you have than to have to go junk-yarding for something you didn't pull.

A good tip is to write the VIN from the donor car onto the ECM itself, makes it easier to troubleshoot with a scan tool later.

As for what the swap entails, motor/tranny mounts, custom fuel lines, custom mounts for accelerator cable, shift cable(s), making up axels to match the non Fiero to Fiero hubs, different coolant hoses and heater hoses from stock Fieros and that's just off the top of my head.

Luckily you've come to the right place for help, everything you need to know is here.
86Fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so the engine is definately a pre-series 1, will that be a major problem? I realize that series 2 swaps are easier but for the price i got this car for, I think its worth a shot. Will there be any clearance issues with a pre-series one, or will it fit right in there? I would rather the stick but based off of the flywheel comment, I might just leave it with the aoutomatic that is in the olds, unless there is a different way around the flywheel issue. Will the computer out of the olds still need programming to work with the fiero gauges?
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know what the horsepower rating is on the engine you have? Just wondering if the work that you'll go through would be worth the upgrade in horsepower vs. spending a bit more money to get something that's going to get you into the 250-300 hp neighbourhood.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a series 1 sc and I will be honest with you , for the money go ahead and buy a series II because the cost other than the engine itself will be the same.... I went with series I and now doing work over agian to do what I should have in the first place..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started with a series 2 NA and loved it soo much, I went through much of it again a year later to upgrade to the SC motor. If you are after the horsepower, find a SC motor. If you just want a more modern better engine, use the NA.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

86Fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realize that there are much better swaps to go into the fiero, but i am just looking for an engine that will work. I guess what im asking is will a 3800 pre-series 1 engine go into a fiero engine compartment without too much struggle? Will the wiring be too difficult or will it work and is there any other type of flywheel that will work to put a manual transmission in it?
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes the series 1 will work, I have a 87 with a series 1 sc and a 86 gt with a series 1 n/a , it will fit fine, do some searching cause I am not 100% sure but if I am not mistaken you can use a camaro flywheel like the series II but the crank pattern is different you will have to drill the flywheel and have it balanced.. or $350 route from WCF.
If you have the engine I say go for it..

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

86Fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for the imput. After consideration and stumbling on the right engine at the right time I will be doing a 3.4 dohc swap. I will be starting a build thread for it soon.
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86Fieroman:

As a side not, I recently went around a round about and i know how left turns mess with the oil pressure gauge in fieros but as i went around the turn the engine started pinging, but ended as soon as i pulled out of the round about. Why would that be?

If the wire running to the oil pressure sender is disconnected the gauge will peg. Your pegging might be caused by a loose connector at the oil pressure sender or it might be a bad oil pressure sender itself.

btw, I do make and sell 3.4 TDC/DOHC harnesses.

http://reddevilriver.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock