Started on: 10-16-2013 08:12 PM
Replies: 24 (1650 views)
Last post by: ttt123 on 02-12-2019 01:24 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I want to build a rotisserie for my Roadster project. I'm thinking of something like an engine stand setup that bolts to the rear and front bumper mount areas and connect the 2 ends across the bottom with a removable "spreader" bar! Use some good heavy swivel casters so I can roll it around the garage easily and build the end uprights just tall enough to allow the chassis to clear the spreader bar.

Has anyone built one - have some tips, ideas, pics, etc.? I have a couple engine stands that I can use for mock up and then fab everything from scratch or just pick up a couple used engine stands off of craigslist that I can cut up?

Anyone know the weight of the stripped chassis? No suspension, Doors, glass - bare - naked?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Pat
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some examples and parts you may need.
http://www.summitracing.com...?keyword=rostisserie

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My friend has been working on one basically like you describe, except without the spreader bar. I don't think it's required if it's solid and properly bolted to the bumper supports. He uses two large (length, not capacity) hydraulic jacks (one each end) to jack up the pieces bolted to the supports. The main vertical post is large gauge square channel with a "T" base. The hydraulic jack lifts a slightly larger square channel that rides up the vertical post. The rotary portion is connected to this outer square channel. It's a simple design, and I think it requires 2 people to jack the car up evenly...but it would be simple enough to modify. He said there is a forum dedicated to rotisseries...that's where he got the info for his design.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one in this picture was a loaner, but it was built with hybrid of cherry picker legs and engine stand upright/pivot. It also had some 70's bumper jacks on the ends as well so it could be raised/lowered. We removed the bumpers and drilled a plate to attach to the stock bumper mounts. It really was handy doing all the fab work and welding with the car inverted:

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are designing it yourself, don't forget to ensure there is a way to balance the car, i.e. make sure you can adjust the centerline of rotation so the weight is balanced top and bottom...otherwise the car could flip and you'd never get it upright
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The one in this picture was a loaner, but it was built with hybrid of cherry picker legs and engine stand upright/pivot. It also had some 70's bumper jacks on the ends as well so it could be raised/lowered. We removed the bumpers and drilled a plate to attach to the stock bumper mounts. It really was handy doing all the fab work and welding with the car inverted:

Oh wow I'm jealous, no more overhead welding, or struggling to get into tight areas
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a picture of one I built for my 66 Nova I restored:

The uprights (have green paint on them) are old semi trailer jacks mounted upside down, cut the foot off and welded on a wheel bearing hub for rotation.
They can be cranked up/down to adjust the body height & the car spins with one hand. The rest was mostly scrap steel except the bottom connectors,
two long pieces of 2x2. It worked great, the car was on it for 3 years, finally finished it in 2011.

NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VERY NICE---yeah I'm yelling.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All great stuff - thanks to all for the posts!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Guru,

A Cherry picker was used at both ends?

AL68,

Very nice Nova - love those ground up restorations!
CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go here: http://www.homemadetools.net and do a search. You'll find lots of good stuff.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Guru,

A Cherry picker was used at both ends?

Yes, but just the base with the extendable legs.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello
Here is a pics of the plans I have ..... if you need them let me know .... the weight of a barebone spaceframe without doors or craddle 690 pounds

my schematics for rotisserie

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
regards
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 10-17-2013).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, if you strip the car of the panels, interior and drivetrain (to make it as light as possible), then you can just flip the car over on its roof using a cherry picker. Place some jack stands to the bumper support front/rear and then do all the reinforcement work with it on its top. This is how I did my first roadster:

Here is a pictorial I took when I flipped over a frame rack I was building. Works the same with a stripped down fiero chassis:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-18-2013).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Danyel,

Thanks for the plans! I'll be headed in that direction using some tips from Guru! I have 2 Cherry pickers that I can use for the bases, I found a couple 7000 lb square tube trailer jacks I will use for he uprights so I can raise and lower that chassis - I'll be using these for another frame off project when the Roadster is done.

Guru,

That's quite an under frame you built there! I'll send you a PM with a few questions - looking for your opinion!

CarverToo - Thanks for that link - lots of useful items there.

Thanks to all for your replies!
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap you guys are hardcore , if only I could do that on the street in front of the house where I do all my work
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL68:

The uprights (have green paint on them) are old semi trailer jacks mounted upside down, cut the foot off and welded on a wheel bearing hub for rotation.
They can be cranked up/down to adjust the body height & the car spins with one hand. The rest was mostly scrap steel except the bottom connectors,
two long pieces of 2x2. It worked great, the car was on it for 3 years, finally finished it in 2011.

I love it when a plan comes together out of scrap metal.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

homemadetools

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for homemadetoolsClick Here to visit homemadetools's HomePageSend a Private Message to homemadetoolsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CarverToo:

Go here: http://www.homemadetools.net and do a search. You'll find lots of good stuff.

Jon here from HomemadeTools.net.

I know this thread is an old one, but thanks for the kind words

To celebrate our 20,000th homemade tool, we made a new ebook featuring our top 50 homemade tools. You guys are welcome to it for free:

http://download.homemadetoo.../50MustReadTools.pdf

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by homemadetools:

To celebrate our 20,000th homemade tool, we made a new ebook featuring our top 50 homemade tools. You guys are welcome to it for free:

Some pretty cool stuff in there. Thanks for that. I may just end up building one of those band saws.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2015 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
see Artworks in the construction zone
homemadetools

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for homemadetoolsClick Here to visit homemadetools's HomePageSend a Private Message to homemadetoolsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

Some pretty cool stuff in there. Thanks for that. I may just end up building one of those band saws.

You're very welcome. Enjoy

[This message has been edited by homemadetools (edited 09-04-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
homemadetools

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for homemadetoolsClick Here to visit homemadetools's HomePageSend a Private Message to homemadetoolsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys - we have a new ebook out: How to Make a Belt Sander. 100% free of course. Click the graphic below to check it out:

homemadetools

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for homemadetoolsClick Here to visit homemadetools's HomePageSend a Private Message to homemadetoolsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys - we have a new free ebook of homemade car tools: 101 Best Homemade Automotive Tools. Click below to check it out:

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2019 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several years ago there was something called an automotive tilter. The car was jacked up and two arch shaped steel members were bolted to the hubs. Next a jack powered by an electric drill was used to tilt the vehicle over on the steel rockers. We used to see this device sold at the auto shows but the device seems to have been discontinued. The setup not only looked dangerous it most likely placed undue stress on the wheel hubs. I would also think that the battery and engine fluids would need to be removed. For the fool hearty here it is:
Automotive Tilter

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2019 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if someone emails me I have pics of the one we made for our fiero project. puts it way up in the air and allowed us to access everything. Sorry i cant load pics.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock