Sterio diagnosis. by LornesGT
Started on: 10-16-2013 07:06 PM
Replies: 8 (181 views)
Last post by: Khw on 10-17-2013 11:57 PM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I put in new speakers today in the dash and no sound. So I checked the wires to at least see if they were connect to the head unit and yes they are. Is there a voltage reading or something that I can check to see if the front channel is bad?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the fader is set right, if you are checking for sound from FM make sure the Ant. is plugged in too or you will get no sound.
Did your old speakers put out any sound?

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear speakers work but sound like crap and I have a set for those as well. Front did not work but were heavily damaged so I assumed that was the issue. Fader is set properly.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 10-16-2013).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can plug in the front speakers to the back channel, and visa versa to test.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was my next step, but I wonder if there was some technical stuff I could check.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like you need to test your new speakers on something else before re-installing them in your Fiero...
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when u installed you speak could you have grounded out a speaker lead when bolting speaker in?
------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 10-17-2013).]

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front channel is toast front speakers worked in back. They are 4 ohm so sound is really low. Looks like I need to do some shopping I just didn't want to do that yet.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

The front channel is toast front speakers worked in back. They are 4 ohm so sound is really low. Looks like I need to do some shopping I just didn't want to do that yet.

Sounds like the whole radio is toast. 4 ohm shouldn't make the sound lower as amplifiers make more power the lower the ohm load they are presented with. For instance a radio making 10 watts at 8 ohms should make closer to 20 watts at 4 ohms. The drawback is that the lower the ohm the closer you come to a dead short and the more likely you are to blow the amp. However, the stock radio should be okay with 4 ohm speakers, but I wouldn't go lower. What this all means is that the radio just isn't "putting out" as 4 ohm speakers should be just as loud or louder than 8 ohm (assuming your not trying to push a 18" sub off your stock headunits amp...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock