Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can you put one of the 82 ~ 84 Crossfire TBIs on a 2.5L Iron Duke?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can you put one of the 82 ~ 84 Crossfire TBIs on a 2.5L Iron Duke? by disjaukifa
Started on: 10-16-2013 10:04 AM
Replies: 10 (384 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 10-17-2013 06:32 AM
disjaukifa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for disjaukifaSend a Private Message to disjaukifaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,

Can you put one of the TBIs off a Corvette TBI onto the stock intake manifold of an Iron Duke? I was emailed by someone when I was looking for the Holley TBI that said you can use the TBI off a crossfire V8 on the Iron Duke. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this?

Thanks
Grant

PS Please don't tell me to upgrade to a 2.8L or do a 3800 swap, I like the 4 banger for the fuel economy but the stock one is just too restrictive.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Leukay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeukaySend a Private Message to LeukayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We put one on my 84 from our corvette to test if the duke throttle body was the reason it wasn't running. It looked to be the exact same throttle body. I believe the part numbers might have even been the same (it was a long time ago so I don't remember), so it may not be any less restrictive, the corvette just has two. I do remember it bolted right on for us

[This message has been edited by Leukay (edited 10-16-2013).]

disjaukifa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for disjaukifaSend a Private Message to disjaukifaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Leukay:

We put one on my 84 from our corvette to test if the duke throttle body was the reason it wasn't running. It looked to be the exact same throttle body. I believe the part numbers might have even been the same (it was a long time ago so I don't remember), so it may not be any less restrictive, the corvette just has two. I do remember it bolted right on for us

Hey, thank you for the reply! I actually thought the crossfire engine had bigger ones . . .
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by disjaukifa:
Hey, thank you for the reply! I actually thought the crossfire engine had bigger ones . . .

Is still 300 TBI w/ Same injector... V8 uses 2 units.
V8 Might have a bigger bore and throttle butterfly or not. You need to check the specs.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to get more out of your Duke, you might want to look into the 2.2 OHV top-end swap. You can read about that here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-074087.html
disjaukifa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for disjaukifaSend a Private Message to disjaukifaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

If you want to get more out of your Duke, you might want to look into the 2.2 OHV top-end swap. You can read about that here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-074087.html

Thank you for the information but I have a 1985 and I don't think that one will work for me . . .
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those Crossfire Vettes made some pretty crappy HP numbers. I really wouldn't be surprised if the components they used were associated with the Iron Duke. Two dukes make about as much power as a crossfire injected 350

I've often thought of taking the TBI off my duke in favor of a carb on my dd Pontiac 6000 (like many of the C3 guys do with their CFI cars). But then I look at all I want to do with my 87GT and say why bother. I know it has been done though. If you are looking for a little more power and don't mind losing a little fuel economy, you may want to consider this route.

Hope this helps,
-Josh
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can read about that here: Here.

That thread is a perfect example of why it sucks when people don't use PIP to post images.

Originally posted by v8fiero400:

Here is a shot of a 1988 Fiero head next to a 1990 S-10 head, as you can easily see....

No, we don't see a damn thing any longer.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's still a 2.5 Duke... not the 2.2 OHV. 91-93 S-10, last of the first gen/square body, had a 105HP Duke for a base power plant. The 94+ second gen/round body got the 120hp 2.2

Originally posted by disjaukifa:
Thank you for the information but I have a 1985 and I don't think that one will work for me . . .

Yeah you need the later intake and 700 series TBI of the 87-88 Fiero for that swap.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 10-16-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oops, sorry about the snafu.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those Crossfire Vettes made some pretty crappy HP numbers.

A lot of that had to do with the runners in the intake. Specifically, the ports. Half of the height of the ports were blocked where they bolt to the heads. I was amazed when I saw the pics.

There used to be an aftermarket manifold that replaced the CFI lower intake, but I can't find it now. I don't have time to find pics because I have to get to work, but if you Google "crossfire injection" you might come up with some info/mods for those throttle bodies. There is lots of info out there.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-17-2013).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock