Clutch fork problems by Imnuts
Started on: 10-15-2013 11:20 AM
Replies: 9 (227 views)
Last post by: Imnuts on 02-28-2014 08:47 PM
Imnuts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My clutch fork has slipped off my throw-out bearing two times on my 88 GT. This destroys the fork and pressure plate each times it happens. I don't know how it can do this unless somehow its over extending. The first time I had bought the car and drove about 800 miles. The second was after a complete rebuild with all the components new including the clutch fork lasted 1400 miles.
Does anyone know what causing this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! What do you know about your slave cylinder? There are different cylinders and push-rods that could be the problem.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you trying to use an isuzu throwout bearing with a muncie or getrag fork?

Throwout bearings are matched to transmission, as are the forks, and if the PO swapped trannies while trying to keep the old TO bearing, I could see this happening.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The slave cylinder I sure was replace by the previous owner. I know it’s the correct length push rod because when I was a newbie at bleeding the clutch I looked into that. The Getrag tranny was original to the car as is the 2.8. I replace the flywheel and installed a new clutch kit the later was an AC Delco (made by Sachs) both ordered from Rock Auto. I also installed a new clutch fork (ordered from Sachs) since it was damaged from trying to chew through the pressure plate’s spring fingers. Somehow the clutch fork is getting driven past the throw-out bearing. I guess I try to find out if I have the correct slave cylinder. Is there a particular clutch kit that you would recommend?
Thanks for the quick reply.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use rockauto or the fiero store, but I don't see any mention of the throwout bearing.. where did you get that from (or did you replace it?) and is it the correct one for your transmission?

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post a picture of the TO bearing you are using. Larry
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The clutch kit pictured is the one I bought from Rockauto and it came with the bearing qnd a better looking picture of the bearing.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like the proper TO bearing for sure. Larry
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess when I get around to removing the clutch I will check out the slave cylinder to make sure it's correct. But first I have to work on numerous home projects for my wife since I spent all last winter doing a engine/drivetrain rebuild and this summer going to car shows. Has anyone else had this clutch fork problem?
Max
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It ended up being a bad clutch disk that fell apart after 1500 miles just felt the same as the fork slipping off.
Thanks for the replies anywho.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock