Fuel pump issue likely, any thoughts? by s550w
Started on: 10-14-2013 07:40 PM
Replies: 3 (197 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 10-15-2013 08:32 PM
s550w

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to start my '87 GT, it has sat for several years. I last ran the engine 2 years ago. Shortly before it was parked, I had replaced the fuel pump. It is also likely the gas was stolen from the tank. I added gas to it. I can hear the relay actuate but, I do not hear the pump and it was definitely loud enough to hear when new. I did turn the engine over with starter fluid and it sounded fine for 2 seconds. Any chance I can get the fuel pump to work? Is there a priming method that I haven't heard about?

Thanks.

Brian
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know of any priming method for an in tank fuel pump. Be sure you are getting voltage to the pump. The relay could still click without passing current on to the pump.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check output from relay first, To make sure contacts in the relay are ok. There are wiring diagrams all over the forum
If the pump is just not working because of a little corrosion on the brushes, you can try this.
About 2/3 the way towards the back of the tank. With RUBBER hammer, short, LIGHT, rapid taps to the bottom of the tank. The idea is to VIBRATE (not beat) the bottom of the tank and baffle. To get the pump armature to move just enough to contact a better area of the brushes. Do this while someone else is regulating the key to on and off. Not start. IF STOCK. When you turn the key off for 10 seconds the ECM will reprime for 2 seconds again. So, on, off for 10 seconds, on, off for 10 seconds, on and so on. Also if you can find a fitting to fit you test port on the fuel rail to attach a hose to and run it outside the car into a suitable container. (Highly suggest making sure you have an extinguisher around). This will give your pump a chance to spin up easier without pressure coming up. If you get it to spin, (IF STOCK)than you can jumper the ALDL connector for continuous run. If you can get it to come on, run at least a half gallon of the fuel into that container to help the pump clean itself and get some of the moisture of the bottom of the tank. Then get a filter. Than let it pressure up to try starting.
If this does not work in about 5 minutes, you are dropping the tank.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 10-14-2013).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is not uncommon for a fuel pump to die on a Fiero when it is in storage. I stored a F308 rebody (86 GT) for about a year when I was overseas and had a fuel pump fail. It worked fine when I drove it in to the basement and would not start a year or so later. I have also read similar stories posted in a number of places so it must be a fairly common failure or a lot of us are just unlucky.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock