idle problem by rcm
Started on: 10-14-2013 01:31 PM
Replies: 10 (254 views)
Last post by: 92wastheyear on 10-22-2013 05:03 PM
rcm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmClick Here to Email rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I did the iac throttle stop procedure per ogres instructions.I set it at 850 and plugged it back up and it sets around 1k.When I come in from a drive
going slow shift into first it sets at 1200 rpm.I did a full tune up with cap,rotor,wires,ac plugs,fuel pump,fuel filter etc.It has already the stainless
egr pipe.Cleaned throttle plate and iac port hole.I have sprayed carb cleaner around plenum,hoses,egr ,throttle plate etc and no signs
of a vacuum leak.I realize this 25 year old technology but where they suppose to idle real smooth as a new v-6 would today?
I also put my finger over iac hole and it wants to die.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmClick Here to Email rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok just now started the car for the day.The idle was fluctuating from 500 to 1500 wouldn't stay running.
As it warmed and I moved the throttle a few times it set at 1800.So I sprayed all the lines,egr,plenum gasket
trying to find a vacuum leak.All of suuden the idle dropped to 1050 and ran good.Its like it had to read the temp
from cts before it to settle down.I will check for codes today even though no ck engine light is on.
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmClick Here to Email rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok checked the codes.Flashed the usual 12 ...It seems like the iac is sticking.
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmClick Here to Email rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok replaced the iac,did another throttle stop reset.I did find a leak from rubber hose from intake to tb by spraying carb cleaner.
Replaced hose with clamps seemed about the same.Havent tried a cold start today.
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmClick Here to Email rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok stil on a cold start wont stay running unless giving throttle.After it starts to warm then it will
stay running with a fluctuating idle,then go 2k and when the fan comes on drops to 1k.The initial
start idle problem I cant figure out.
92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearClick Here to Email 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bad coolant temp sensor can cause that. I had those symptoms and changed the Intake Air Temp Sensor and the Coolant Temp Sensor....cleared up the problem, plus settled an idle hunt issue when warm
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmClick Here to Email rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did replace air temp sensor already.May try the cts see what that does.
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmClick Here to Email rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok replaced cts,repair one terminal on the map sensor plug,replaced alt and now starts right up
and idles high for a minute or two and comes down to 1500 rpms.But never seemed to get warm.
So I pulled the thermostat and the po has a 160 in it.So that's why now it wont idle down and maybe my gauge only
stays at 130.So do I need to go back with a 195 and change to Rodney 200-210 fan switch or 180 thermostat and
and 185-195 fan switch.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearClick Here to Email 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rcm:
.So do I need to go back with a 195 and change to Rodney 200-210 fan switch or 180 thermostat and
and 185-195 fan switch.

Depends on your needs....my car would run hot (until the fan switched on) in stop and go traffic on hot days. Now that it has cooled down it is fine. Sometime before next summer I plan on getting a new fan switch (200-210)....I plan on staying with the 190* thermostat since the car stays cool when there is air flowing across the radiator. That should sort it out for me....that being said, your results may differ. I would just watch the gauge and note what it is doing and when (remember that the fan will kick when the AC is turned on, so you will be fine regardless).

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 10-21-2013).]

rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmClick Here to Email rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
k.I put in 195 stat today and gauge works.The only thing the fan switch comes on early
and the temp only climbs to 175 at idle.I am thinking the po put a 160 or 180 fan switch.
So now I think I will replace with the 210 -200 switch and it should be right.Here in texas
it does get up to 108 .
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearClick Here to Email 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rcm:

k.I put in 195 stat today and gauge works.The only thing the fan switch comes on early
and the temp only climbs to 175 at idle.I am thinking the po put a 160 or 180 fan switch.
So now I think I will replace with the 210 -200 switch and it should be right.Here in texas
it does get up to 108 .

Sounds like the PO overdid it ...and lowest temp stat and lowest temp fan switch resulting in the car never really getting warmed up. Sounds like you have the right idea...go with the medium stuff and you should be good to go
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock