erratic charging by rcm
Started on: 10-14-2013 01:23 PM
Replies: 5 (118 views)
Last post by: rcm on 10-21-2013 04:50 PM
rcm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok at the battery with volt meter I have 12.4 volts.Start car and drops to 11.2.After a few minutes warm up then it jumps to
13.2 on the gauge and the volt meter,rpms will make it come up and down.Really erratic.Check 500 block and cleaned contacts
with electrical cleaner.Test the fuse link going to battery and junction still reads the same.Now on the batt terminal out of the
alternator it reads 5.8 volts.I used my alt tester on the battery it shows low output from alt all the time regardless if it reads
11.2 or 13.2 on the volt meter.I suspect alt is bad.The car has 109k and not sure if it has been replaced before.Thia is an
86 se 2.8.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could be you volt regulator inside the alternator - easy fix might as well change the brushes at the same time.

jon
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Bat wire? The big one? If that has 5.8 volts on it then you have a bad connection some place or a bad ground on the alternator. That terminal is connected right to the battery, so the readings on each end should be very close to the same. Larry
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure how the terminal b on back of alt reads that low but at the battery I get
11 to 13 volts.I will try that again and see what I get.It really doesn't make since.If I had 14 v
at the b terminal and only 11v at the battery I would say the cable is bad.
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok did not have the volt meter set right.But soon as the fan comes on it drops 2.5 volts.So I going with a bad alt.
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rcm

100 posts
Member since Oct 2013
Alright pulled the alt and went to autozone.Tested it and it completely failed on three test.So they had one in stock ,installed.
now the gauge reads correctly,no battery light,and at the battery I am getting 14.55 volts.YEAH!!!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock