Wire bundle twisted around drive-axle and broken by Timantt1
Started on: 10-14-2013 05:46 AM
Replies: 4 (179 views)
Last post by: Timantt1 on 10-14-2013 04:30 PM
Timantt1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Timantt1Send a Private Message to Timantt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, last friday when I was driving the "Check engine soon" light turn on, I drive for a while and it did not turn off in 10 sec like usual, then I realized that voltage meter shows very low voltage and speedometer has stopped working ans showed zero.

I finally stopped and look to the engine compartment, I found out that wire bundle have twisted around drive-axle and tear broken.

Generator wire was slightly damaged and the small brown wire cut off

Both transmission wires tear off, VSS and reverse switch

Some broken wire

I found where the broken ends of these wires were

Thankfully, I was able to locate all 5 broken wires and rewire them, everything seems to work again, and this times the wires are attached with so many cable ties they should not drop to the drive axle again.

[This message has been edited by Timantt1 (edited 10-14-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good job getting it fixed up, I'm surprised it didn't just stop running altogether. Hard to believe so many wires could be damaged and you didn't hit anything 'critical'.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OOPS.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Good job getting it fixed up, I'm surprised it didn't just stop running altogether. Hard to believe so many wires could be damaged and you didn't hit anything 'critical'.

X2!

Kind of sucks and kind of cool at the same time.

Kevin
Timantt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Timantt1Send a Private Message to Timantt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thankfully it was not as bad as it first looked. There were only six wires damaged, the two that goes to the reverse light switch, the two that goes to speed sensor and two generator wires. I was able to rewire with the help of Haynes manual and that I own second Fiero wire harness, I bought it together with lot of other used Fiero stuff from a guy from Helsinki last year. I did not want to cut any wire from the second harness, in case I need it some day, but I had to take the VSS connector from that since it was lost after this accident. When the axle rip these wires off it seems they did not damage any neighboring wires.

I did not feel any pull when the accident happen.

Voltage drop was apparently caused by short circuit with the drive-axle, since the skin of the thick red generator wire was rubbed broken and copper was exposed, however when I straighten the wire the car started and voltage return normal. At the moment I only fixed the skin of this wire with electric tape.

I thought that I should report this accident, since I have not heard others having similar. Anyway, I guess people should check the attachment of these wires, so that similar wire bundle drop to the drive axle does not happen. I personally decided to add a lot of cable ties to all wires and bundles that hangs around the engine compartment just in case.

[This message has been edited by Timantt1 (edited 10-14-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock