Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Headrest speaker wiring into stock 88 deck???

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
Headrest speaker wiring into stock 88 deck??? by Ponti88GT
Started on: 10-10-2013 09:56 PM
Replies: 9 (392 views)
Last post by: dobey on 10-11-2013 02:12 PM
Ponti88GT
Member
Posts: 118
From: Viera, Fl
Registered: May 2012


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTClick Here to Email Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, like the post is asking, is there any way: whether it be difficult or easy to wire the tweeters in the headrest stock speakers from I believe an 85 seat into my 1988 head unit stereo. It will be only until I figure out which aftermarket head unit I want to go with. I was also wondering which speaker position whether it be rear speakers, front speakers high/mid range etc. I would think that I can tap into and solder my wire extension from the seats to the wires that plug into the head unit.... Tell me what you guys know about the car stereo electronics for what I got. Oh and Pictures Help!
Picture of the head unit:

The drivers side wiring off the seat. Light Blue / Dark Blue Yellow / Brown

Passenger Side Wiring off the seat. Dark Blue / Light Blue Yellow / Yellow Brown Stripe


IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ponti88GT
Member
Posts: 118
From: Viera, Fl
Registered: May 2012


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTClick Here to Email Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ran across this also and wanted to see if someone can explain this to me and how I can wire this into the stock speakers without having the original wiring for the front section B, C, and D.


IP: Logged
Patrick
Member
Posts: 30181
From: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Registered: Apr 99


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My original Fiero, an '87, had earlier Fiero seats with the headrest speakers. The dash speakers and the rear pillar speakers were all functional as well. I re-wired it in such a manner that I balanced the impedence of the speakers... some were connected in parallel, some in series. Worked well, sounded great.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-11-2013).]

IP: Logged
Khw
Member
Posts: 11128
From: South Weber, UT. U.S.A.
Registered: Jun 2008


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Ponti88GT:

So, like the post is asking, is there any way: whether it be difficult or easy to wire the tweeters in the headrest stock speakers from I believe an 85 seat into my 1988 head unit stereo.


I've never looked at the stock headrest speakers but I always thought they were full range 3.5" speakers with at most a whizzer cone. I did not realize they were 2 way with a tweeter on them. So from your question, it sounds like you just want to use the tweeter part?

Either way, it's pretty straight forward. Run the right and left channel speaker wires from the stereo through the center console skeleton area to the ECM area. There splice each wire to make it 2 wires. After that a + and - for right and left go to each side of the center tunnel down near the seat plug. After that it's just determining which is the right set of wires in the seat and which is the left, making sure you have the polarities correct and hooking them up.

The hard part is going to be taking the seats apart to find some way to bypass the mid in each speaker so all you get is the tweeter...
IP: Logged
dobey
Member
Posts: 11572
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Khw:
I've never looked at the stock headrest speakers but I always thought they were full range 3.5" speakers with at most a whizzer cone. I did not realize they were 2 way with a tweeter on them. So from your question, it sounds like you just want to use the tweeter part?

Either way, it's pretty straight forward. Run the right and left channel speaker wires from the stereo through the center console skeleton area to the ECM area. There splice each wire to make it 2 wires. After that a + and - for right and left go to each side of the center tunnel down near the seat plug. After that it's just determining which is the right set of wires in the seat and which is the left, making sure you have the polarities correct and hooking them up.

The hard part is going to be taking the seats apart to find some way to bypass the mid in each speaker so all you get is the tweeter...


The stock ones were full range, I think. But they could have been replaced at any time with 2-way speakers that fit. The trick to installing them into a later year Fiero is to not create a circuit that has a resistance lower than 8 ohms between the two seat speakers, and the rear pillar speaker, for each side, if you're going to keep the pillar speakers as well as the headrest speakers.

If your seats do have 2-way speakers, you're not going to easily bypass the full range side and get a direct line to the tweeter. If you only want tweeters in the seats, you should pull the seats apart and only install tweeters in them. The headrest speakers are really only good for the upper range anyway, due to the way they are installed in the seats, and how the seats are structured. There's no solid mounting and not enough air volume, for them to produce good quality mid-low range audio.
The pillar speakers are much better for producing quality audio.
IP: Logged
Khw
Member
Posts: 11128
From: South Weber, UT. U.S.A.
Registered: Jun 2008


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree dobey. If they were replaced with aftermarket 4 ohm speakers then you need to change the wiring to run the left and right speakers in series between the 2 seats so you maintain that 8 ohm load. And yes, if all you want is tweeters there then replace them with tweeters and wire them accordingly. You will need either 4 ohm tweeters in series or 16 ohm tweeters in parallel. Of which the 4 ohm in series will probably be the easiest to achieve as 4 ohm tweeters will most likely be easier to find than 16 ohm.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-11-2013).]

IP: Logged
2.5
Member
Posts: 40903
From: Southern MN
Registered: May 2007


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happens if you power some 4 ohm, some 8 ohm, for example off the same head unit?
Such as if you had 4 ohm speakers in the dash and 8 ohm in the pillars of Fiero?
IP: Logged
Ponti88GT
Member
Posts: 118
From: Viera, Fl
Registered: May 2012


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTClick Here to Email Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am glad that the wiring is working out.

Here's the thing, I can run the wiring from the head unit/stereo just fine. Which left and right side should I use? Front or rear speaker outputs?

And this write-up keeps getting more and more technical with the ohms for each speaker setup, fronts, pillars, headrest speakers. Like the post before this, what happens if I just hook up the headrest speakers to the same wires as the rear pillar speakers? Wanting to make this work easily.

[This message has been edited by Ponti88GT (edited 10-11-2013).]

IP: Logged
dobey
Member
Posts: 11572
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by 2.5:

What happens if you power some 4 ohm, some 8 ohm, for example off the same head unit?
Such as if you had 4 ohm speakers in the dash and 8 ohm in the pillars of Fiero?


Not much. It depends on what the actual stable rating of the power supply (amp) in the head unit is.

Best thing to do is use external amps, and only output RCA signal from the head unit itself, turning off any internal amp it might have (most good quality aftermarket head units can do this).
IP: Logged
dobey
Member
Posts: 11572
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001
 
quote
Originally posted by Ponti88GT:

hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am glad that the wiring is working out.

Here's the thing, I can run the wiring from the head unit/stereo just fine. Which left and right side should I use? Front or rear speaker outputs?

And this write-up keeps getting more and more technical with the ohms for each speaker setup, fronts, pillars, headrest speakers. Like the post before this, what happens if I just hook up the headrest speakers to the same wires as the rear pillar speakers? Wanting to make this work easily.


The speakers are in the rear, so you should use the rear outputs. Whether you wire them in parallel or series with each other, and with the existing rear speakers, determines what the final resistance rating on those channels will be.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 10-11-2013).]

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock