Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
   Running pig rich and stalls when warm (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Running pig rich and stalls when warm by Tweeder
Started on: 10-09-2013 11:19 PM
Replies: 68 (1177 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 06-05-2014 02:41 AM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe I have all leaks sealed. It seems to be holding pressure for quite a few seconds with all plugged and forcing air into the throttle body. But I seem to still have the same problems with onwards of -22 ltft. I wonder if it could be something with my tune? I couldn't bypass the vats on the 02 regal tune that came with the motor so I uploaded what I believe is a stock 00 Grand Prix gtp tune and was able to use that. Any idears?

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

IP: Logged
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your tune for the correct MAP sensor? Was it based on a SC tune?

When scanning - engine off - does the scanner show the MAP to be standard atmospheric pressure?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-04-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Is your tune for the correct MAP sensor? Was it based on a SC tune?

When scanning - engine off - does the scanner show the MAP to be standard atmospheric pressure?

I did a compare and the maf tables are the same, yes sc tune. Not sure what your askin about the map but it's recording in kPa.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 04-04-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

------------------

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So key on engine off does the scanner show about 100 kPa? It should.

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So key on engine off does the scanner show about 100 kPa? It should.

Yeah between 103 and 104. Going through the differences in the tunes I did notice a difference in the offset vs injector pulse width vs map

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 04-06-2014).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may not be related but what thermostat do you have? PO of my car ran 180 & exhaust was rich smelling & fuel economy was low. I installed 195 and gained up to 3 mpg city driving. I also found via this forum that gapping the plugs a lot less than what factory spec calls for helped.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

This may not be related but what thermostat do you have? PO of my car ran 180 & exhaust was rich smelling & fuel economy was low. I installed 195 and gained up to 3 mpg city driving. I also found via this forum that gapping the plugs a lot less than what factory spec calls for helped.

I have no idear, guessing stock, what ever that is.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

------------------

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Borrow a correctly programmed PCM and see if that solves your problem.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Borrow a correctly programmed PCM and see if that solves your problem.

There's nobody around here that has one, I live up in the boonies.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I tried my hand at copying the regal tune over the gtp tune the best I could. I used the compare file and copy/pasted any differences but there were a few that were questionable as they went half green, half pink where as a proper copy goes all pink. I loaded it and it fired up but scanning it showed before 30 secs it went rich at around -17 fuel trims so I guess the tune didn't work. On a side note I have a 3" abs pipe from the throttlebody to an open cone filter in the side of the body for cold air. Could this be too small and not let enough air in for the amount of commanded fuel cause it to run rich? I can't remember if I have done a scan with an open throttlebody or not to see if the numbers are the same or not.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 04-09-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried disconnecting some sensors today while logging and it changed nothing. First the maf, it stumbled and almost stalled so I had to hold the throttle till it revived itself but was still running rich. Then the map and then the iat both had no effect on the engine and still logged rich fuel trims.

Edit: forgot about the O2 sensor. I unplugged and no change as well.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 04-11-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

I live up in the boonies.

Well I guess......how many people live in Kitimat?
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Well I guess......how many people live in Kitimat?

About several thousand, then the transient workers on top of that. Most racers here are old school(carb).

------------------

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Transient Workers?.....Do they cut trees?
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Transient Workers?.....Do they cut trees?

Nope construction workers here building a new aluminum smelter to replace a 60 year old one and others gearing up to build LNG plants. Then the possibility of a pipeline from Alberta and hopefully an upgrader to refine it.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the only thing that changed is my wallet is now lighter. It's still running rich, now -20 for ltft. It's also stumbling and running like crap but I did have the battery dissconnected the past two weeks while I was gone so hopefully it just needs to relearn.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bucked up and got my tune to my tuner and after a few tunes and logs back and forth, he got er settled down. Turns out I needed to reset the fuel trims when ever adjustments are made. I noticed over the past couple days that after driving, when I would start it up again it would sometimes surge or it would start then die right away. And sometimes I would have to give it gas to keep it going. The first start up in the morninhg is no problem it seems when it gets warm it acts up. I it took a few times to get it going then I had to press the gas and it was really stumbling an rich again as i seen the black exhaust out the pipes in the mirror. It barely wanted to stay running but it eventually did with a bit of throttling. Once it gets going then it's normal till I shut it off and start it up again. And ideas as to what would have changed so drastically to cause this total 180? Keep in mind I have not touched anything.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just looking at my logs and the ait's stood out. When it's starting like crap, the ait's are 40-60 degreese Celsius. It's not that hot touching the intake air tube going down to the cone filter. Do hight ait's default the computer to make it run rich? It starts and runs fine when cold.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No they make it run lean.

Did you common the grounds of the IAT with other sensors or run the black wire directly to the PCM? Is the tan wire also a direct wire to the PCM?
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No they make it run lean.

Did you common the grounds of the IAT with other sensors or run the black wire directly to the PCM? Is the tan wire also a direct wire to the PCM?

Yes both wires goto the PCM. It's giving the correct reading first thing in the morning when everything's cold, the ait and coolant temp are the same. My tuner doesn't think that's the problem as he has tuned vehicles with higher ait temps and they never acted this way.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 06-02-2014).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is making me scratch my head is why does the reading change, and if so, and if it is bad is it also causing your other problem.

Unless it is picking up air that is that warm.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What is making me scratch my head is why does the reading change, and if so, and if it is bad is it also causing your other problem.

Unless it is picking up air that is that warm.

I'm not sure. In hptuners somewhere around 45 and up the guage goes red as a warning so I assume that the engine isn't designed for those temps. I have a cone filter that's run to the fender well so it's getting the cold air from there when driving. I think the problem is once the vehicle is parked, the heat stays in the engine bay. I put my hand on the tube between the filter and throttlebody and it didn't seem like it was that hot(50c which is what the guage says.). Seems like the sensor got heat soaked? Once I finally get it running and driving it smoothness out, that's why I'm questioning the high ait's screwing with things. It seems to fire up no probs in the morning..

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 06-02-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeder

1026 posts
Member since Aug 2012
i went for a drive today and as usual, she fired up and drove like a champ. i let’er sit for about a half hour and tied to fire’er up, she started acting all retarded like before. i wasn’t logging but i was looking at my scan guage and i noticed when it was doing that the timing was very low around 5 to 10. then it would go up to the 20 as normal when she smoothed out. so i went back and looked at my last log, and i noticed the timing was doing the same. could something be affecting the timing? earlier on today when it was doing the same thing i grabbed a spare iat sensor and plugged it in to give it lower temps(room temps), and it didn't change a thing.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was out playing around after I let her cool down about an hour after a drive. Tried to fire'er up and she was being stupid not starting, so I unplugged the maf sensor and she fired right up. With her running I plugged the sensor back and she would stall out so I'm assuming it's something to do with that. But once the motors cooled like first thing in the morning, she starts up normal. Any idears?

------------------

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MAF wires coated with gunk?
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MAF wires coated with gunk?

Shouldn't be but I haven't looked, I had a p0102 pending code. I got ahold of the parts place as I already had this replaced a few months ago under warrantee. They're going to replace it again since it's still under a year. I asked then if it was new or remaned and yeah it's remaned, they can' together new. I wish I knew that when I bought it as I would have went elsewhere and bought new. Two mafs in 700kms, not cool. Going maf less now so I won't have that problem again.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay