RODNEY'S V-6 "ANTI-SQUEEL SOLUTION" by RPYRAZOO
Started on: 10-08-2013 07:30 PM
Replies: 13 (653 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 10-16-2013 07:29 PM
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any advice on whether to purchase Rodney's Idler Pully or Power Pully Kit to eliminate that ever-present squeel? Even with a "GatorBack" belt I'm still suffering.
As always, thanks for the input.
Rich
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got his pulley on mine. Solved the squeal problem! I highly recommend it!!

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1987 Porsche 944S
1987 Corvette
1966 Porsche 911
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep - It's one of two ways to go - the other is Dodge Runners spring loaded idler set up. Which ever you chose be sure to clean the pulleys of all old rubber debris and other dirt. Rodney also sell a bracket to strengthen the alternator bracket BUY IT !
jhgraham

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is great, no belt squeal and easy installation. A slight belt wrap rushing sound but not objectionable. I recommend it.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought Rodney's idler pulley. I agree with everyone else, it's great, and I recommend it. Keep in mind however, you still have to be careful not to over tighten the belt.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
make sure you have right alt pulley....
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130486.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all for your help and experience, now I have a clear indication in which way to go. Any of your advice is always appreciated 'cause I'm a true believer in "No one has time to do it right, but always finds time to do it twice."
Rich
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm late to the party, but I had one on my 87GT also. In addition to Rodney's pulley, I also double-nutted the alternator so it couldn't move and allow slip also.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Dodgerunner's belt tensioner on my 88. Love it. Was also quite easy to install.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sole purpose of the idler pulley kit is to decrease belt squeal by increasing belt contact on the alternator pulley. The purpose of the power pulley kit, however is to increase available power by reducing load on the engine from the alternator and water pump. It uses a smaller pulley on the crankshaft, which increases mechanical advantage, to do this. The 85-87 version of the kit also includes an idler pulley, so you get both.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 10-10-2013).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the squeal from both belts until one broke and I (eventually) removed pieces of it from various pulleys. One little squeal once since then. However. I'm told the harmonic balancer is shot, destroying seal, crankcase, oil pan, etc.

What I've learned is the heart of the harmonic balancer is rubber that can be destroyed by chemicals like oil. The oil pressure sender is near the harmonic balancer and it and the pipe that connects it to the block (if you have air conditioning) are prone to springing leaks. Could it be squealing problems are really harmonic balancer problems?

Btw, replacing the hb is proving to be difficult. TFS has a Dorman unit, but they say the timing mark is not in the right place. The only other ones that actually say they can be used on the Fiero are from Summit Racing, go for over three hundred and don't ship for about three weeks.

Could it be the different pulleys installed on the hb change the weight and mask hb problems?
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a couple really good used HB for sale. $50 shipped for one.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get one with the correct timing mark from the Damper Doctor.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damper Doctor replied to email saying they don't currently have the correct hb in stock and suggest rebuilding mine for ninety plus shipping back and forth to CA.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock