Gas station spillage...wth by CodeSlinger
Started on: 10-08-2013 06:28 PM
Replies: 8 (270 views)
Last post by: Macarchie on 10-09-2013 04:53 PM
CodeSlinger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CodeSlingerSend a Private Message to CodeSlingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought that maybe this one gas station had weird pumps, but every time I fill my Fiero, gasoline squirts out the fill hole like the nozzle didn't shut off in time. Anybody else have this problem? Is there any way to correct it?

------------------
'87 GT 5-speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They have a smaller neck to start with, and could be some of your vent hoses are plugged partially. Check for those problems or just dont click the pump on wide open.
Macarchie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have an '87... so you have the expansion tank in the cavity behind the passenger seat. If you take off the right rear tire and the forward wheel liner, you will see the fuel vent lines running to the bottom of the expansion tank. I bet your lines are either badly corroded or have dissolved altogether. There are two steel lines that pass under the battery tray and along the firewall to the back of the fuel tank. One of the lines connects to the vent from the tank and the other connects to a line that goes up to the filler neck. The fuel station pump is not sensing the increase in air pressure as the fuel backs up into the filler tube and therefore is not shutting off. Mine wasn't too difficult to fix because I had the exhaust and AC compressor off, the battery out and the car up on a lift.

Good luck,
- Jimmy

------------------
1987 coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5-spd
1987 Firebird Formula; Blue; 5L; 5-spd

onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to know. I always have that problem at certain stations that fill faster. For some reason pumps tend to be much faster in NH than VT.
CodeSlinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CodeSlingerSend a Private Message to CodeSlingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macarchie:

You have an '87... so you have the expansion tank in the cavity behind the passenger seat. If you take off the right rear tire and the forward wheel liner, you will see the fuel vent lines running to the bottom of the expansion tank. I bet your lines are either badly corroded or have dissolved altogether. There are two steel lines that pass under the battery tray and along the firewall to the back of the fuel tank. One of the lines connects to the vent from the tank and the other connects to a line that goes up to the filler neck. The fuel station pump is not sensing the increase in air pressure as the fuel backs up into the filler tube and therefore is not shutting off. Mine wasn't too difficult to fix because I had the exhaust and AC compressor off, the battery out and the car up on a lift.

Good luck,
- Jimmy

Guess I've never noticed any of that. Does anybody have a pick of what I should be looking for? If a line has 'dissolved', will there be a fuel smell or any danger because of it?

------------------
'87 GT 5-speed

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gas station fuel pumps click off when an increase of vacuum is sensed in a secondary tube....next to the station filler tube. It will suck air until the fuel gets high enough, and when it starts sucking fuel, the pump shuts off. The usual reason for spillage is that the gas pump handle is not straight, or all the way in the car filler tube. I am not sure how the expansion tank would contribute to the problem. Is your overflow on the outside of the car or somewhere else?
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had it happen to me a handful of times, the first time I didn't know about it I had at least a half gallon spill out as I had set the pump handle to go on its own and it was splashing out as I was standing a few feet away before I noticed.
CodeSlinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CodeSlingerSend a Private Message to CodeSlingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Gas station fuel pumps click off when an increase of vacuum is sensed in a secondary tube....next to the station filler tube. It will suck air until the fuel gets high enough, and when it starts sucking fuel, the pump shuts off. The usual reason for spillage is that the gas pump handle is not straight, or all the way in the car filler tube. I am not sure how the expansion tank would contribute to the problem. Is your overflow on the outside of the car or somewhere else?

It always spits right back out the filler tube from what I can tell. It does click off, but it probably splashes about a cup of gas before it's finished.

------------------
'87 GT 5-speed

Macarchie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have pictures in my phone. I'll try to get them loaded in the next day or two.

- Jimmy

------------------
1987 coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5-spd
1987 Firebird Formula; Blue; 5L; 5-spd

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay