Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone having trouble with thier transmission mounts?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone having trouble with thier transmission mounts? by AL87
Started on: 10-07-2013 10:39 PM
Replies: 9 (383 views)
Last post by: AL87 on 10-09-2013 11:42 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the engine and transmission mounts on my car a few months ago when I had everything out because

I had to replace the trans because the torque convertor snout bearing wiped out on the shaft it sits on.

Anyways, when I had to drop everything to find that^ out I noticed one of the trans mounts was almost ripped off.
AND IT WAS NEW...
and I replaced it with another new one and now, not much later, I can feel the engine/trans moving more than it should, and I hear the clunking from it going into gear from neutral because torque is applied. and the little catch fingers keep everything from flying around.

I am fed up with this, its BULL that the manufacturer would make this cheap of a mount...
where are the solid mounts being sold? Rodney?

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 10-07-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney's urethane mounts are pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-08-2013).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine? Tranny? how are the rest of your mounts? Could be an issue with the product, or a bad mount somewhere else.
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything can be defective new, just depends on your luck, when I can I prefer to buy NOS factory parts, but like others have said it could be something else putting extra stress on the one that went.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely missing/damage dog bone. V6 uses 2.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ALL the mounts were replaced 3 months ago when I had to swap my junked trans out***

the only mounts I know of are the top dogbone, the one engine mount. and the two transmission mounts; front and rear plus the little dinky shock absorber.

I know its the rear trans mount, the top plate on the mount that bolts to the transmission bracket seems to be peeling off the vulcanized rubber it was put onto, and the only thing safe about the new mount is the catch finger, of which I believe the old OE mount had U-bolts in the vulcanized rubber for extra protection. (not sure %100 all the oe had u-bolts, but the engine mount did)

and its not completely ripped off the rubber, just about %50... but its enough so that I can feel clunking from the mount moving more than it should if it were still in one perfect piece.

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 10-08-2013).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use poly. Stock replacements have seemingly become crap over the years.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking st this for many years now. I think I finally have the answer. I need some used rubber trans mounts for R&D. Anyone have any? The rubber can be totally ripped off but mark them so I know what goes with what.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
No need for samples. I bought a few from Rock Auto to use for R&D.

Later this next spring I'll have a low cost replacement rubber kit for trans mounts.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet! but I think I may go poly here...

I don't know what it is, but somehow theres too much shock reaching the rear trans mount, and that's whats causing the rip.

ALSO because the replacement mounts are utter poo.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock