1982-92 Firebird wing as a rear diffuser by falcon_ca
Started on: 10-07-2013 06:57 PM
Replies: 5 (893 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-08-2013 12:10 PM
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read something about using a stock 1982-92 Firebird rear wing as a rear under-bumber diffuser but I can't find any picture of this installation.

Somebody have one?

This is this spoiler I am talking about.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Macarchie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Under bumper diffuser? The '86 Firebird that I had years ago had the same spoiler/wing. The lower surface of the wing had a slight camber and (at very high speeds) would (in theory) generate a download... provided the airflow over the roof and rear glass was relatively clean. The wing was for looks. Most of us don't travel at speeds where any significant aero forces are likely (especially here in the DC area
If you're concerned about drag issues under the car, the turbulence generated by the cradle and trunk well will override any benefit from a diffuser. For the Fiero, the nearly vertical rear window will create a flow separation point which will tumble the air long before it gets behind the bumper. My advice would be to spend the money on upgrades that will actually help performance or appearance.

Just advice from an old man. Jimmy
------------------
1987 coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5-spd
1987 Firebird Formula; Blue; 5L; 5-spd

[This message has been edited by Macarchie (edited 10-07-2013).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen a couple. One with it just mounted down there and this one with it mounted and molded in.

Neither of them are mine though.
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That picture brings back memories - I had a Firebird that looked near exactly like that in high school. Was one of the first cars I bought.

Originally posted by Macarchie:
If you're concerned about drag issues under the car, the turbulence generated by the cradle and trunk well will override any benefit from a diffuser. For the Fiero, the nearly vertical rear window will create a flow separation point which will tumble the air long before it gets behind the bumper. My advice would be to spend the money on upgrades that will actually help performance or appearance.

Yeah I have to agree with this.

The Fiero's rear trunk was designed to accommodate placing one of the normal size wheel and tire into it in case of a flat in case of emergency, since you cannot place the normal size wheel and tire in the spare's location. The trunk had to be designed to be rather large. Because of it's large size, any air going to the trunk would be blocked or forced to the sides of the car. However, not that much air gets back there anyway. It's primarily due to the car's design. Air traveling under the car doesn't work like a normal uni-body vehicle. When air traveling underneath the Fiero's space frame meets the opening where the drivetrain is, the air gets forced upwards and through the vents of the decklid. This air going through the decklid eventually meets the air coming over the car. There's a bit of a neutral pocket around the window area, but there is a meeting point between the air going over the car and the air coming from under it.

If you have looked at other similar mid-ship vehicles that are well established, like the MR2 and Lotus cars, you'll notice that rear aero is not focused on much. It's probably because these vehicles experience similar phenomena as the Fiero does. Some thought could have been placed into more intricate rear aero for air flow, such as is on many mid-ship exotic cars, but if that would have been the case there would have potentially been little to no room for a rear trunk, thus destroying most all the Fiero's cargo capacity.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That rear diffuser looks nice, but I doubt it will do what you want it to.

The air that flows past the cradle instead of up the firewall, is drawn upward behind the car into the vacuum created by the speed.

That air then flows forward under the wing along the top of the deck toward the window where it joins the air spilling off the roof
and tumbles creating turbulencr behind the window.

The diffuser would enhance the vacuum and cause the air to tumble behind the car instead of travelling up the bumper like stock does

But, at street speeds, this is not a big deal IMHO and the trade off for the looks might be a nicer improvement to modernize the look

Arn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought real diffusers were supposed to have vertical bumps or fins.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock