2013 brake upgrade - ? Best cost effective design today by FlyFieroGT
Started on: 10-07-2013 04:48 PM
Replies: 5 (326 views)
Last post by: Arns85GT on 10-08-2013 01:10 PM
FlyFieroGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyFieroGTSend a Private Message to FlyFieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. On 84 thru 87 what has proven to be the best cost effective upgrade calipers/ rotors and to fix the park brake and increase the dia - Lebaron , Grand AM, or Caddy or ??

2. On 1988 -12 inch Vett rotors with what calipers?

3. Plan to keep the stock brake booster? would like to have stock rear/front bias? rims upgraded to 18 inch,

ANY info on supplier for these upgrades please post. Thanks

[This message has been edited by FlyFieroGT (edited 10-07-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MountainHiBlue87GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
try this: http://www.westcoastfiero.c...rakes/brakes_13.html

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 10-07-2013).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FlyFieroGT:

Or you could go with my 13" brake kit for the 88.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/060122.html
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Or you could go with my 13" brake kit for the 88.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/060122.html

This! I own one. It rocks!
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best and Cost effective don't always go hand in hand...

1. On 84 thru 87 what has proven to be the best cost effective upgrade calipers/ rotors and to fix the park brake and increase the dia - Lebaron , Grand AM, or Caddy or ??

Personally the easiest and cheapest solution is to do the Grand Am brakes on the 84-87. Disadvantage is you lose the parking brake if you also do the rear (I have an automatic 3800na so I don't care).

$175 turned hubs for the front from fieroguru ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/065345.html )
$28 rotors (each)
$22 calipers (each)
$35 pads (nice ones)

That is $310 to do just the fronts or $445 to front/back. I would recommend going with stainless steel lines while you are at it...

I can't really speak to the 88 Corvette upgrade, but I would recommend fierogurus 13" kit ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/060122.html )... You use the stock 88 calipers and he has put a lot of research into keeping the braking working right front to back.

3. Plan to keep the stock brake booster? would like to have stock rear/front bias? rims upgraded to 18 inch,

I kept the stock booster, but I really want to do the S-10 booster. Unfortunately I am leaving the 3800na alone for now so that I can finish my 3800sc.

ANY info on supplier for these upgrades please post. Thanks

This is a touchy subject for people because stating a negative "opinion" about a vendor can get you blasted and banned on here... So here we go.

My opinion about fieroguru (Paul) based on my transactions:
*Great to deal with and will support you if you have problems
*High quality products
*Damn good pricing for someone that isn't a full time vendor
* Great shipping and turn around time

My opinion about West Coast Fiero (Chris) based on my transactions:
*Okay deal with. One time he was rushing to get off the phone, another time he spent 20 minutes explaining stuff to me. Be aware that you may have to call back when he isn't so busy.
*High quality products, just be aware of what you are buying. Mounts have always looked great.
*High to Good pricing, but they are a full time vendor and have been around a long time.
*Good shipping but terrible turn around time from time of order. I think this is where most people have a complaint about WCF. It seems like if you are one the West Coast he turns it out fast. If you are mail order expect a LONG wait. The fastest I have ever had anything ship from WCF was 4 weeks and then another week to get here (but my CC was charged that day).

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 10-08-2013).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GrandAm is the cheapest and works really well. You add the ebrake with a conversion bracket I designed

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-083566.html

If you are talking cheap but better though, you might want to consider that brake booster swap. It is a huge improvement

Arn

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock