From brake caliper to big time water leak by z1motorcars
Started on: 10-06-2013 06:49 PM
Replies: 11 (172 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 10-07-2013 09:21 AM
z1motorcars

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here's the story, 87 Fiero L4, took it out for a nice local ride, not much highway, mile from the house the left front caliper locked up. Replaced with a rebuilt, power bled the brakes, all fine.

Now the fun starts. Out of nowhere, no problem before, the radiator draincock starts leaking. Glued it in with Permatex Weld Seal, solved problem. Bled the system. Couple of days later big time leak from the back of the motor, water pump area. Hose seemed to have a little break, replaced it but the groove didn't penetrate the hose so wasn't the issue. With the system pressurized water pours out, much more then would come out of the weep hole. Turned an old radiator cap into 0 psi, filled everything, bubbles at the engine fill, no thermostat, all looked pretty good, minimal drips. Car didn't seem to overheat but at this point I was using plain water so i kept the radiator fan running. The weird thing is the car leaks more when not running. maybe as much as a gallon a night which is about what I was adding. Wondering if the system can be overfilled??. Leak seems to be coming from water pump area bur why more when not running?

I know all the ramifications of running the engine too cool (as is basically happening in my experiment) so lets skip that issue and just deal with the leak.

Thanks,

Bernie
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! Pressure can increase after you turn the car off, because the engine continues to warm the water for a short time. What is a zero PSI radiator cap? Sounds like trouble....
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would start with a new water pump............
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I would start with a new water pump............

Ditto, they have a weep hole under them that you can't see from the top, an inspection mirror might let you see it. or a blown gasket on the water pump.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-06-2013).]

z1motorcars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 0 psi cap is an old time trick. It's just a cap, no guts thus 0 psi, one way to check for leaks.

I'm going to pull the water pump but the amount of water that's leaking is much more then the weep hole.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by z1motorcars:

A 0 psi cap is an old time trick. It's just a cap, no guts thus 0 psi, one way to check for leaks.

You put that on the radiator? It's not going to work on a Fiero. You will dump water into the overflow tank because the engine is higher than the radiator.
z1motorcars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you get older you're not as smart as you think, I'll check tomorrow but I think that was correct.

With a regular radiator cap water was really being forced out of somewhere in the vicinity of the water pump, more then I've seen in many years of playing with cars.
z1motorcars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just wondering if any one has an opinion on a possible cracked block in the water pump area - or - is there a freeze plug in that area? There's a lot of water coming out.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only way to find out for sure is to tear it apart and see what has failed.
z1motorcars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any idea if there is a freeze plug in that area, I've seen some nasty pictures on the web. So far, in my "experiments", I've probably spent $50.00 on (wasted) anti-freeze.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take the belt off the water pump and wiggle the shaft. If that seal has failed it can dump a lot of water at times.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Take the belt off the water pump and wiggle the shaft. If that seal has failed it can dump a lot of water at times.

Ditto,

by the way,

"Old school rules."

I fall back on things like that 0 pressure cap many times on other cars to find a problem, as said though on a Fiero it may not work because of the height of the motor, now if you had put it on the thermostat housing it might have.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock