sunroof sealant by sledcaddie
Started on: 10-05-2013 03:51 PM
Replies: 4 (248 views)
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 10-07-2013 12:02 PM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, in the 1988 GM service manual, concerning the "vent glass" (sunroof) weatherstrip, on page 8J-6, it specifies applying a "bead of adhesive between outboard periphery of weatherstrip and body opening to prevent water seepage". Okay. Typical of GM service manuals, it neglects to specify what type adhesive. Is it similar to "super weatherstrip adhesive" (yellow) or is it a silicone base sealant (caulking)? When I removed the previous (OEM) weatherstrip, it appeared to be a clear silicone. Any suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always used a small amount of the yellow stuff. I think it 's more to hold the strip in place than prevent actual leaks since that's the job of the rubber.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used 3m gasket adhesive. It is yellow. I have done several cars, works great. Pics are in this thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/061419.html

Rich
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used....wait for it....weatherstrip adhesive.

http://www.autobodytoolmart...DogroCFUVp7AodWn0AMA

Removed track, then sealed the track to the roof, then the seal to the track as per bulletin instructions. Lower corners of figure 3. View A and Section A-A

http://www.fierostore.com/Tech/Default.aspx?Id=326

Never drilled the holes,No leaks!

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 10-06-2013).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never use "caulking" or a silicone caulking blend.These products have the consistancy of clay, and wont hold up. 100% silicone would work good, and comes in black,clear,white and a few other colors.Look closely,some products look more like Roofers Tar. I beleve the last tube I baught was at Home Depo, GE Brand Premium Waterproof Silicone, Window,Door,Attic,basement water proof,flexible,shrink and crack proof. Wear rubber gloves when working with these producks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock