Started on: 10-03-2013 10:49 AM
Replies: 14 (676 views)
Last post by: TriumphFetish on 12-03-2013 12:46 PM
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a poping noise from the suspension in the right rear of my 85GT. Would happen during acceleration/deceleration and sometimes while turning.
I had replace the hub, strut, check bushings, control link, motor mount, checked dog bone. Nothing made a difference. You could feel the pop and it felt like it was coming from under the passenger seat. Checked and tightened the front cradle bushing bolts but no change.
Finally I thought I'd check the right rear cradle bolt. It turned about 1/4 turn.
Popping gone after a year and a half.
whooohooo!!!! Sure nice to have a quiet ride now.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 10-04-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good for you. I have a customer's car that makes the same noise (although it's pretty muted). I've looked up and down for the source without any success. Now I know where I'll look next. Thanks for posting.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a chirp sound that comes from my Formulas driver side rear, cannot for the life of me find it. It happens on abrupt bumps and I only notice it at lower speeds, say under 40. Nothing seems loose, Rear sway bar is lubed and not poly, exhaust seems tight. I even sprayed silicone lube up in the strut thinking maybe it was that, no change.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-03-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a clunking coming from the front of my sons car. After wasting endless time checking shocks, brakes, etc. It ended up being the car jack was loose in the front compartment. Doh! Sometimes it's the simple stuff.

Jim
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Had a poping noise from the suspension in the right rear of my 85GT.

I get a strange sound from the same area in my '84 on occasion when I start off which I've been attributing to the cut springs not sitting quite right in the top of the passenger side strut. Maybe I'll now have a look at my cradle bolts!

By the way Rory, your topic heading is wrong...

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Left rear popping noise finally fixed.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-03-2013).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
By the way Rory, your topic heading is wrong...

He must have been standing on the other end of the car when he typed the topic heading
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

He must have been standing on the other end of the car when he typed the topic heading

Plus the fact he was probably laying under the car with his feet out the back while he was working on it.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Oops ....Well you know what they say about left handed people being in their right minds.....Well I'm right handed so......

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 10-03-2013).]

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a chirp sound that comes from my Formulas driver side rear, cannot for the life of me find it.

It's inside the strut itself. Original OEM, right?

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a very similar situation as Dodgerunner's, with my 86SE. Pop or clunk on accel or decel, usually in the first 3 gears. It sounded as if it were right behind the right seat. I had recently been told by NTB that my new Rodney Dickman ball joint on the right rear was worn out. Grabbed a new one at NAPA and when we pulled Rodneys, well guess what. It was typical Rodney quality. No Problemo.

After reinstalling it we started looking at the new engine and trans mounts and cradle mount, and even the hubs and axles. Turned out to be the through-bolt of the dogbone where it attaches to the trunk wall. It was loose.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes on my GP a loose dog bone made a popping noise also.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FTF Engineering:

It's inside the strut itself. Original OEM, right?

Its original yep. Cant be lubed then, just replaced?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-04-2013).]

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its original yep. Cant be lubed then, just replaced?

Sorry, but nope... Can't be lubed. It's inside. Only relief is replacement.

You were itching for some Konis anyway, weren't you?

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dodgerunner,
one cradle bushing making noise can be a sign others are bad/loose.

Soft/bad front(s) can make rear move more and in turn, noise and other problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

There was a clunking coming from the front of my sons car. After wasting endless time checking shocks, brakes, etc. It ended up being the car jack was loose in the front compartment. Doh! Sometimes it's the simple stuff.

Jim

I had a front end rattle that ended up being the rod that holds the spare tire down. It was flat and bouncing around along with that rod. Check those spares!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock