Shortning the 5 speed stick shift by 4thfiero
Started on: 10-01-2013 05:53 PM
Replies: 5 (262 views)
Last post by: BillS on 10-05-2013 06:37 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, so i bought a new 5 speed getrag stick shift arm to install on my 5 speed shifter mechanism (i had the 4 speed one on) I want to shorten it an inch or 2...whats the best way to do that/ im assuming i will need a custom shift knob since the threads will be mostly gone? How have some of you guys done this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cut it out from the bottom of the base where it attaches, cut the rod down, weld it back into place. If you cut from the bottom you don't have to rethread.

However - always a however - do realize that the stock throw arm is intentionally bent at an angle by design. The idea is that with the curvature the stock throw arm has it allows you to easily reach higher gears like third and fifth on a full throw without moving yourself forward. If you're short and have shorty arms like I do, driving with a shortened shifter that has some of this curvature removed can make reaching the higher gears difficult, where you may have to shift your body forward to select fifth.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see your point, i guess that would work, I dont wanna get rid of the curve yeah...im not short, im 6'3'' so i dont have issues reaching anything. But i see your point. Thanks for that
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I shortened my 5-spd shifter, I removed the rod and replaced it with a (shorter) metric bolt. See photo below.

If you have access to a welder, it's pretty easy to do.

Edit to add: another option would be to shorten the top of the stock shifter arm, then re-thread it using a thread tap. You would just need to be careful not to cut it so short that the shifter knob can't thread onto it all the way.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-02-2013).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can weld in any type of shifter you want. Chrome, Hurst, a "Pistol Grip ", pick the handle/threads, that way you have the choice of shift "Knob"
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just buy a short shifter from Rodney.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock