Fabric to recover sun visors by NetCam
Started on: 09-29-2013 05:12 PM
Replies: 20 (525 views)
Last post by: Predicador on 11-23-2013 03:24 PM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody have luck finding a good material that matches the interior of an '85 with grey/charcoal? I went to a fabric place today and was really surprised they didn't even have anything remotely close. Mechanically the visors are in good shape so I don't want to spend $100 to buy new one from TFS. My daughter is really good with a needle and thread so I know she can make really nice ones, but need to find a good fabric first. If I can't find the grey, I was thinking of going to charcoal
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't find fabric, and the cardboard under the fabric had gone punky.

I visited a local wrecker and found a Plymouth Acclaim with grey sunvisors. I unscrewed the mounts and mounted them in the Fiero. They fit like a glove and look pretty much stock

This is at least one option for you. BTW they cost $10

Arn
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsClick Here to Email hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Russ88TTop does upholstry work and may be able to help you with the material. Send him an e-mail or PM and see what happens.

Nelson
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest replacements from a yard myself. The Fiero ones are nearly impossible to recover nice. Ones I found fit good and I had them recovered in vinyl so they wouldnt get nasty again. Just take one with you to the yard and start looking around. Sorry but dont remember what they came out of.
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageClick Here to Email jhgrahamSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the TFS visors. Although they look nice, I found the driver’s side with the map pockets does not fit well. It is to fat and will not fully retract causing my head to always hit the visor on entry. They would not sell just a single visor so I wound up buying two sets and using passenger side visors on left and right. They are interchangeable and they look great now, no more head bumping. $$$$. BO anyone?
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Click Here to Email fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently recovering mine with the headliner material I had left over.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id like to see yours done. I didnt want the fabric because Im an open window driver and they got filthy along with the sides of the headliner so I went all naugahyde. My local upholstery shop wouldnt touch the OEM Fiero visors for less than $100. Theyve been doing all my stuff from seats to convertible tops for 30 years.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

I'm currently recovering mine with the headliner material I had left over.

Where did you get the headliner material?
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Click Here to Email fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got it at Michael's craft store in the fabric department.Very easy material to use,it is foam backed just like the original.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I'll try there. They just opened up one in my town too
IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 242
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of course you could always get a nice pair of sun glasses and get rid of the visors
PFF
System Bot
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageClick Here to Email fierolukeSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried recovering with headliner material, however the foam is too thick compared to the original foam, and the visor just turned out too "fat".

I did find a visor recovery set at PepBoys, it's a rolled up piece of foam backed fabric, enough for two visors. It was in the section with floor mats and headliner material. They had two shades of grey which both looked close to the Fiero grey. I didn't have a sample with me, so I just bought one of them. The foam is about half as thick as the headliner foam. The package comes with a small bottle of adhesive and is about $40. I don't remember the brand, but if someone needs the part number, it's still in my basement. LMK.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Of course you could always get a nice pair of sun glasses and get rid of the visors

I did exactly that with both of my Mercedes SLs. I always wear a ball cap with the top down anyway. Mercedes visors are trash from the factory. There is no backup board at all. they just use rigid foam heat covered in vinyl. Sun disintegrates it till they look like vinyl bags. They have to be replaced (about $300), because theres nothing in them to cover.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Click Here to Email css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I visited a local wrecker and found a Plymouth Acclaim with grey sunvisors. I unscrewed the mounts and mounted them in the Fiero. They fit like a glove and look pretty much stock

I have something similar in mine. Shadow, Sundance, Daytona.... I don't remember for sure what they came out of. But yeah, they fit perfect and are nicer than the stock Fiero visors. But be careful though; there are some Chrysler visors that won't fit.

I also have a set from Fiero Thomas. I just haven't installed them yet.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fabric in different colors available.... under the company called "heads up".

http://www.amazon.com/Heads...d=1380648269&sr=1-16

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 10-01-2013).]

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JoAnn Fabrics has a nice selection of headliner material for a decent price.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

JoAnn Fabrics has a nice selection of headliner material for a decent price.

I am guessing that this material is too thick?? I covered my visors in vinyl... FWIW.

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Fabric in different colors available.... under the company called "heads up".

http://www.amazon.com/Heads...d=1380648269&sr=1-16

Looks good, but they want $45 to ship the kit to the GWT
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageClick Here to Email fierolukeSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, Heads Up is what I got. They carry dark and light grey. The dark grey is very close to the original Fiero grey.

Here's the link to the manufacturer: http://www.headsuponline.co...uct-details.php?id=5
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Looks good, but they want $45 to ship the kit to the GWT

Look for that same brand through Auto Zone or whatever you have in CA.
Predicador

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PredicadorClick Here to visit Predicador's HomePageClick Here to Email PredicadorSend a Private Message to PredicadorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought 4 yards of material at Walmart, it is "felt/fleece" almost exactly the same grey at the original in the 86. Was 2.84 a yard and it is 60 inches wide.
It does NOT have foam on it, which is what I wanted.
Blessings,
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock