Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1990 Eagle Talon turbo tachometer in a Fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1990 Eagle Talon turbo tachometer in a Fiero? by hercimer01
Started on: 09-28-2013 06:59 PM
Replies: 15 (1169 views)
Last post by: Brnlloyd on 08-31-2018 03:51 PM
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was out at the pick a part today and found this. A 1990 Eagle Talon turbo tachometer. I am going to see if we can get it to work with the L67 swaps or any one boosting their Fiero. The Sunbird turbo tachometers are so rare any more, This may be a viable option.
I don't have any prints but I was able to decipher the inputs on the back of the gauge.

I was wondering if this Dragon Transducer would drive the boost gauge?

The whole gauge setup can be had on EBay for under 25.00 including shipping.

Any input here would be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to find a decent alternative to the Sunbird Tachometer.

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 09-30-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be cool if you could figure out how to get that to work, it looks a little better and also the higher RPM gauge would be nice for higher revving engine swaps.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Given the year it was manufactured and it's Denso, perhaps the same tach modification used to convert the Duke or, Sunbird tach to work with the V6 is all that's necessary. You'll have to remove that cover to reveal the electronics underneath. As for the boost gauge it probably taps into the MAP signal wire. An easy way to test it would be to connect a 1.5 volt battery to it and see if the needle moves. If it runs off a variable 5 volt sensor input it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just found this. The 1990 Talon wiring diagrams. Better download them while you can.

http://www.freewebs.com/mit...g63t%20convesion.pdf
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Zac88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

Given the year it was manufactured and it's Denso, perhaps the same tach modification used to convert the Duke or, Sunbird tach to work with the V6 is all that's necessary. You'll have to remove that cover to reveal the electronics underneath. As for the boost gauge it probably taps into the MAP signal wire. An easy way to test it would be to connect a 1.5 volt battery to it and see if the needle moves. If it runs off a variable 5 volt sensor input it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

The Eagle Talon uses a mass airflow sensor and does not have a MAP sensor. That boost gauge is driven by the ECM which estimates the pressure based on the rpm, mass airflow, ect. I know some people that are using DSM link (a tuning setup with the factory computer) can re-assign that gauge to indicate knock, or many other functions.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zac88GT:
The Eagle Talon uses a mass airflow sensor and does not have a MAP sensor. That boost gauge is driven by the ECM which estimates the pressure based on the rpm, mass airflow, ect. I know some people that are using DSM link (a tuning setup with the factory computer) can re-assign that gauge to indicate knock, or many other functions.

According to the provided link to the DSM forum, it is still a simple voltage operated gauge so it may still work in the same fashion as the Sunbird Tach provided the voltage range is the same.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/fo...ock-boost-gauge.html

If a small voltage draws the needle down close to -7 that's a pretty good indication it's as simple as suspected. The Sunbird boost gauge is probably nothing more than a modified battery voltmeter like the one that sits on the Fiero center console scaled for the signal range it operates in instead of 12 volts.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 09-29-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Edited to improve

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 10-04-2013).]

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:
7 volts variable

Didn't follow all of what you did or were doing in the test but a trip to RadioShack to pickup some diodes, resistors and a voltage regulator for a small expense in the calculated ranges needed may still
help you accomplish this. If you're only going as high as 10 psi assuming 2psi/volt the 5volt reference is all you'll need, plus whatever is necessary to work out the tach if more than 4 cyl are involved.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just goofing around tying to set the gauge at 0 psi and show how many volts.

2.37 volts was -3.5 psi
3.64 volts was zero psi
5.20 volts was seven psi
7.04 volts was 15 psi

I didn't have the meter hooked up right.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
it looks like I'll be able to find another denso tach from a 6 cylinder car and swap out the circuit board. so that should take care of the tachometer modification.

as far as the boost gauge It does work as posted in this pic.

Can someone chime in for opinion or guidance?

PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does this look right how the multimeter is in the circuit? Or does it need to measure from ground to the MAP signal input?
I'm just trying to figure out if a 2 bar MAP sensor will drive this gauge.

Brnlloyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrnlloydSend a Private Message to BrnlloydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So did you ever figure out how to make this work in the Fiero with a 3800 swap?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use an arduino that monitors the MAP sensor wire and is mapped to give the output voltage you need.

Easy peasy

Originally posted by Brnlloyd:

So did you ever figure out how to make this work in the Fiero with a 3800 swap?

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another option is to use an old smart phone as a second gauge display, with Torque and a Bluetooth OBDII ( since this is for a 3800). I did this on my SSR, and it works great. Use Tasker ( app) to automatically turn on the phone when it sees power, turns on torque, displays gauges as set. When power is removed, automatically turns the phone off. I use a higher quality Bluetooth that automatically turns off, to keep from draining the battery (ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ibGYP2KBZS33tAn16

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

Brnlloyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2018 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrnlloydSend a Private Message to BrnlloydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in paying someone a reasonable price to have a boost/tach like this made to work in my Fiero. Let me know.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock