Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Out of the game a while, considering buying another Fiero. 3800 turbo tech questions.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Out of the game a while, considering buying another Fiero. 3800 turbo tech questions. by sloth85GT
Started on: 09-28-2013 07:12 AM
Replies: 7 (278 views)
Last post by: darkhorizon on 10-01-2013 06:35 PM
sloth85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys, been on here for about the past 10 years, inactive for the better portion of the latter years. I used to own two 1985 GT's, one spun a rod bearing and was in the middle of a V8 swap before I realized I couldn't afford to finish it.

Anyways, I'm back. I wrote off my Grand Prix and wife convinced me to buy an Escalade instead of my dream car, a C6 vette. So here I am, downgrading back to my roots, a Fiero. Here's what I've got in mind if I do this.

Buy another Fiero, preferaly 86-88 fastback, condition doesn't matter, as long as there's no frame rot.

There are MANY Grand Prix/Monte Carlo/Impalas that come through the Manitoba Public Insurance Auctions around here and they sell for cheap. Ideally I'd like an 04+ Grand Prix as a donor car for the Fiero that I can pilage for everything I'll need. I want to go 3800 turbo with as complete of a Grand Prix interior swap (LOVED my GP's interior) as I can. So here's the questions:

Which motor lends itself best to a turbo (L36, L67, L26, or L32)? I will probably be doing a top end rebuild and a cam swap if I have the motor out already. Also, if I get a supercharged car, I'll use the 4T65e-HD transmission.

As for the dash swap, I remember seeing one done before on a Fiero and many archive searches only turn up one by JCzzle, but the pictures are removed so that's not of too much help. I know it's not easy, but I've got time, money, and patience, not much know-how but I learn fast. I'm kind of set on doing this too, the only thing I hated about the Fiero is it's god awful dash!

And as far as the 3800 swaps go. I know they can be done relatively easily, but I don't own a welder and ahve never used one. Is it possible to do a 3800 swap without any fabricating? And then above and beyond that, is it possible to do a TURBO 3800 swap without any custom fabricating? Exhaust I know will have to be done.

Obviously there will eventually be other fun goodies added like brakes, suspension, bodywork blah blah blah. But those are minor details right now that are easily sorted later.

It's not a for sure thing that I'm gonna do this because I'm not in a rush. But a project would be fun. I would plan to start in the spring, as I need the garage space for the vehicles in the winter time.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The L67 is what you will optimally start with if you want to make bunch of power. It's the strongest of them all.

You will need to fabricate the engine mount brackets etc. There are vendors here that sell everything if you can't make them yourself.

If you search turbo 3800 on here you will find several build threads that should help.

Good luck!
sloth85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, yeah I've done a lot of searching. As I stated earlier, I'm not new around here so I made sure to search before posting. Thanks for your input regarding the L67. Kinda makes it a bit more difficult for me because it's a pre 2004 motor and I want a 2004+ interior. How is the Series III n/a motor in comparison for turbo? I know there's a bit more work with a Series III motor with regards to the oil filter placement I believe it was as well as a few other things, but it'd be nice to get one donor car and steal everything I need from that.

Also, still need info on the 2004+ GP dash swap. There really doesn't seem to be anything out there. Which is crappy because it's such a fantastic looking dash.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry but the n/a motors are not ideal for turbo.. the small rods do not handle the abuse the turbo puts out, my camp has broken 1 s3 n/a lower via horsepower and no other obvious failure.

Also, 04+ gtp's are by far the worst donor.. The drive by wire and or BCM installation would be a nightmare compared to the plug and play nature of the 97-03 style (can also find them in 04 and 05 non Grand prix). I understand you want a fancy dash, but you may want to look at your other options.
sloth85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Sorry but the n/a motors are not ideal for turbo.. the small rods do not handle the abuse the turbo puts out, my camp has broken 1 s3 n/a lower via horsepower and no other obvious failure.

Also, 04+ gtp's are by far the worst donor.. The drive by wire and or BCM installation would be a nightmare compared to the plug and play nature of the 97-03 style (can also find them in 04 and 05 non Grand prix). I understand you want a fancy dash, but you may want to look at your other options.

Yeah I agree 100%. Had the questions, had to ask them. The interior can always wait. Most important thing to me is horsepower. I've been reading a lot of the threads on your car and I respect your advice, so I'll take it. I guess I'm on to the next step, find a Fiero and a donor car. Now, is there a donor car out there that is the best to work off of or any Series 2 SC motor will work? What SHOULD I be looking for ideally? Unless they are all the same in term of wiring and other parts needed for the swap?
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent...
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sloth85GT:

Yeah I agree 100%. Had the questions, had to ask them. The interior can always wait. Most important thing to me is horsepower. I've been reading a lot of the threads on your car and I respect your advice, so I'll take it. I guess I'm on to the next step, find a Fiero and a donor car. Now, is there a donor car out there that is the best to work off of or any Series 2 SC motor will work? What SHOULD I be looking for ideally? Unless they are all the same in term of wiring and other parts needed for the swap?

If you find a good deal on any L67 car go for it.. I like the Hbody mounting package, and because you are ditching the SC stuff, you can get any setup you want really. The 98-01 GrandPrix pcm is "plug and play" from the factory while the other ones will need to be tuned aftermarket (not a big deal, just thought I would mention it).
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Originally posted by sloth85GT:

If you find a good deal on any L67 car go for it.. I like the Hbody mounting package, and because you are ditching the SC stuff, you can get any setup you want really. The 98-01 GrandPrix pcm is "plug and play" from the factory while the other ones will need to be tuned aftermarket (not a big deal, just thought I would mention it).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock