Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Just got my fiero on the road and I have some lingering issues I need some answers!!!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Just got my fiero on the road and I have some lingering issues I need some answers!!! by rogerhudson6
Started on: 09-27-2013 01:40 PM
Replies: 13 (349 views)
Last post by: rogerhudson6 on 10-08-2013 08:19 AM
rogerhudson6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi there everyone, just got my Mom's Pontiac Fiero Fastback GT automatic transmission 2.8L v6 on the road. Driving for the first time in 15years.
Alot of work needed to be completed. Gaskets in the engine, brakes, crushed coolant lines and starter problems. But after all that she is running like a beauty. Just 2 days ago I had to get the rad fan relay changed to turn the rad fan on properly...
I do have a few questions still for all of you...

I am aware of a recall that lowered the temperature needed for the rad fan to turn on, I am unsure when this recall was done (year?) and I am still afraid the rad fan is not turning on at the proper temperature. Since it overheated a week ago I have been cautiously turning on the AC to activate the rad fan whenever I suspect she is running hot (for example seeing heat shadows from behind the car, or if I have been driving it for an hour or more). I do not have a way to tell if the car is hot or not because of a broken temp gauge inside the car, and the overheating light on the dash is always turned on (as well as the service engine soon light). I have been told these are *code 14* which means just a electrical problem and no actual issues with the engine or temp (now that the rad fan works).

when should the Radiator fan turn on? when the car over heated it was smoking from the front of the car, and the coolant was boiling out all over the car.

I have a broken battery holder, so the battery is looking like it slipped a bit backwards but I am positive it will not fall out from the car, but I do need a new one.
A new driver's side mirror has just cracked, and the rocker panel on the passenger side has a chip in it.
the temperature gauge, as well as the gas gauge are not working, so I have a full tank at all times for precautions.

when i shift from reverse to drive, the car jumps forward hard, and the rpm drops down to 500-600 for a moment before it recovers.

In the morning when the engine is cold, it has a hard time starting up. never has it not started on me yet, but it will rev up to 1300 rpm then calm down to 500-600 for a few seconds and sounds like it wants to die, then it pops right up to 1000 rpm and idles well until im ready to drive it.

What is the optimum RPM for gas mileage in the fieros? Mine smells like it is running rich with too much fuel in the air-fuel ratio. I do not have a catylytic converter could that be why?
when I driving at high speeds the rpm is higher than in cars I have driven from this millenium. Is that normal? at 100 km/h the rpm is around 3000. at 120 the rpm is closer to 3500. and at 140 the rpm is nearly 4000. Is this alright?

Just looking for some answers to some generic questions, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogerhudson6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
also , I forgot to include that the Oil pressure gauge fluctuates alot during driving. The oil I am using is 20 W50. when theengine is hot the oil pressure drops to the red when I slow down to a stoplight, and will pick up gradually with the RPM as I increase speed. I am not leaking oil and my oil is at a good height. could my engine be running too hot and thus thinning out my oil too quickly? I have only had the car for 1 week so far.

thank you so much again
rogerhudson6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rogerhudson6

26 posts
Member since Jul 2013
also , I forgot to include that the Oil pressure gauge fluctuates alot during driving. The oil I am using is 20 W50. when theengine is hot the oil pressure drops to the red when I slow down to a stoplight, and will pick up gradually with the RPM as I increase speed. I am not leaking oil and my oil is at a good height. could my engine be running too hot and thus thinning out my oil too quickly? I have only had the car for 1 week so far.

thank you so much again
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can buy a low temp fan switch.. I believe it comes on around 210 originaly... as far as oil pressure sounds like bad sending unit..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

rogerhudson6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bad sending unit as in with the gauge? and a low temp fan switch is a good idea, fiero store?
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogerhudson6:

bad sending unit as in with the gauge? and a low temp fan switch is a good idea, fiero store?

At Rodney's site

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was NO Recall on radiator fan.
See my Cave, Do You Recall?

200-225 is NORMAL
235+ is reaching overheat.

DO NOT Trust any dash gauge! Dash gauges very often lie.
See my Cave, Rad Fan

ECT on V6 has nothing to turn on any fan. DTC 14 bad ECT sensor, bad wire to sensor, bad ECM.
See my Cave, Sensors Quick Ref

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes , that is typical of a bad sending unit, Do a search here on forum about updating to the 88 + oil pressure sending unit , easy swap much better sensor and cheaper..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

rogerhudson6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Ogre, I read your articles on the cave and they helped me understand the way the ran fan works alot better.

I am 20, this car belonged to my Mom so please excuse the lack of mechanic language. I experienced another small issue today.
I have been able to open the trunk through the trunk latch button on the dash, but just yesterday it stopped working.
I dont have a key for it so I took the lock cylinder out and used a screwdriver as a makeshift key. That is where I am at now.

Thanks for the input.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Driving for the first time in 15years.

Since it overheated a week ago I have been cautiously turning on the AC to activate the rad fan ...
when should the Radiator fan turn on? when the car over heated it was smoking from the front of the car, and the coolant was boiling out all over the car.

In the morning when the engine is cold, it has a hard time starting up.

What is the optimum RPM for gas mileage in the fieros? Mine smells like it is running rich with too much fuel in the air-fuel ratio.

Fan switch - get a lower temp one from Rodney. (stock one turns fan on at 235 F)

Fuel Pump relay - you can swap the A/C relay to test. Car should start instantly.

02 sensor is probably bad causing the ECM to fuel wildly.

.------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-04-2013).]

fisherlr777

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fisherlr777Send a Private Message to fisherlr777Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
Fan switch - get a lower temp one from Rodney. (stock one turns fan on at 235 F)

Fuel Pump relay - you can swap the A/C relay to test. Car should start instantly.

02 sensor is probably bad causing the ECM to fuel wildly.

My white 2m4 was puting black soot on my rear bumper for a while, a new o2 sensor fixed it completely, but you can still smell the richness after letting off the accelerator sometimes.
PFF
System Bot
undertakingyou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Normal RPM is supposed to be 800 +- 75 for an automatic. As far as mileage I get a combined milage of 23 MPG (37 KPG). Also when driving,
I am running at 2500 RPMS at 75 MPH (120 KPH). I am using a manual, but your car seems a little high.
As far as the trans clunking I would be worried about that. What is the fluid level? how does it look? You may want to do a trans flush on it just because.
I am curios why you are running 20W-50 oil. The 2.8 asks for 5W-30, and I would think that part of your oil pressure problem comes with that.

[This message has been edited by undertakingyou (edited 10-06-2013).]

rogerhudson6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by undertakingyou:

Normal RPM is supposed to be 800 +- 75 for an automatic. As far as mileage I get a combined milage of 23 MPG (37 KPG). Also when driving,
I am running at 2500 RPMS at 75 MPH (120 KPH). I am using a manual, but your car seems a little high.
As far as the trans clunking I would be worried about that. What is the fluid level? how does it look? You may want to do a trans flush on it just because.
I am curios why you are running 20W-50 oil. The 2.8 asks for 5W-30, and I would think that part of your oil pressure problem comes with that.

I just experienced an issue today on startup. I had driven for half hour, then stopped to make an errand. I started up the car and it revved up to 2000 rpm and then died down to 500 and jumped back and forth a few times before it stalled. As I turn the key half way the fuel pump primer is very loud and scratchy. then it would stall as I tart it up. I disconnected the IAC and there is a piece of plastic which is either melted or chipped off, and one of the 4 wires of the IAC is exposed but intact. I cleaned it a bit with a cloth and plugged it back in (before i plugged it in I started it up while the IAC was unplugged and the same isue occurred with stalling) after plugging it in i tarted it up and it idled high (1500) but I drove it the rest of the way home (30km). On the way it seemed to be driving with a higher rpm than normal (about 2500 for 60 km/h), and Idled at 1100 rpm after I stopped it at home.
this is where I am sitting now.

Thank you for the help so far
rogerhudson6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by undertakingyou:

the car has calmed down the Idling RPM to about 900. the RPM on acceleration seems high though, it might change gears at 2500 rpm, but I remember it changing sooner before this incident. the fluid level is full, and clean, just flushed it a month ago when I changed out to tranny lines for neoprene ones. I am running it because the guy who helped work on the fiero (he has been into fieros for 30 years) said that because the car sat 14 years in a garage it needs to be lubed up heavy. he said to switch to 10w 30 during the winter.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock