Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  tranny repair while replacing cam gear (2.5). Is it possible?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
tranny repair while replacing cam gear (2.5). Is it possible? by tywhitaker
Started on: 09-25-2013 03:23 PM
Replies: 7 (157 views)
Last post by: tywhitaker on 09-27-2013 05:22 PM
tywhitaker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tywhitakerSend a Private Message to tywhitakerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello:

I have been doing some searching on here about replacing the fiber cam gear on my 84 2.5 with the Melling 2524. I found a method here by, who suggests dropping the rear cradle a bit to gain access to the cam cover and think that is the way to proceed.

I also need to do a tranny repair (3rd gear syncs bad) and am curious if that can be done with the cradle in this position. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ty
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you have to drop or swing the cradle to get the tranny out. I assume you are removing the tranny? If so, lower the engine a little to get to the timing gear. I wrote up the tech tip on the Michigan Fiero Club website, and I changed the gear while keeping the engine in place.
tywhitaker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tywhitakerSend a Private Message to tywhitakerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By drop or swing, I understand you mean the back mounts? And this will give me room for not only the cam repair, but the tranny removal as well?

Thanks....
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unbolt the rear part of the cradle and it will swing down on the front mounts. Of course, you have other items connected to the cradle before you can do this.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've dropped the rear of the cradle to do a timing gear and I've dropped the rear of the cradle and also removed the driver side front cradle bolt to do a clutch. BUT....If I had to do both a timing gear and a trans removal, I would have just dropped the cradle completely. To drop the cradle in the rear enough to do the timing gear or the trans, you have to remove the throttle linkages or else they will hit the rear bulkhead in front of the trunk. I am assuming that the transmission is manual, if it's an auto I would definitely drop the entire cradle.
tywhitaker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tywhitakerSend a Private Message to tywhitakerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a 5-speed. A complete drop means losing my coolant, air conditioning, pulling the center console apart, etc. I am, of course, trying to avoid those messes.....

Thanks for the help, everyone.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand and you can do a partial drop of the cradle. I found the hardest part was lining the trans back up to the clutch, you need a couple of floor jacks and a helper to get that done easily.
tywhitaker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tywhitakerSend a Private Message to tywhitakerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another stupid question.....

Will there be room to slide the cam out completely? It would require removing the distributor, oil pump and lifters, but sounds like it may be easier than just the pulley removal/install laying under the car.

Thanks

Ty

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock