Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Testing the waters. Considering a new venture.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Testing the waters. Considering a new venture. by Jimmy2s83
Started on: 09-24-2013 05:20 PM
Replies: 5 (292 views)
Last post by: Jimmy2s83 on 09-25-2013 01:09 PM
Jimmy2s83

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jimmy2s83Send a Private Message to Jimmy2s83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to see if there is interest in a quick and cheap chrome plating.

I have been in plating and polishing for many years so I know all about doing it. This would be a side venture offering a simple strip, polish, and plate to those who don't want to spend the big money on show chrome.

Be great for suspension, brackets, linkages, or ???.

The better the part to begin with the better it likely will be.

Remember this would be less than perfect for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of normal plating costs. Just a nice clean finish where the quality depends mostly on how nice the part(s) are to begin with.

Think about the difference of getting a car painted at Maaco or a Reputable shop that deals in high end show cars. Quality will reflect which was done where.

Please post questions on here or PM me.
Looking forward to hearing back and if there is enough interest in this type of venture I will get it started.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
WHEELIE

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WHEELIEClick Here to visit WHEELIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to WHEELIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about nickle plating? I always thought that nickle plated steel has a nice clean look but not too blingy.
wheelie
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you use dip tanks or small electro plating ? I use to do some gold plating emblems etc years ago for dealerships and still have my Becker power supply....

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

Jimmy2s83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jimmy2s83Send a Private Message to Jimmy2s83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nickel plating would be under the chrome. So it certainly could be left at nickel.

Setup would be electroplating in small tanks.

I've had some good responses so far in just 1 day of posting so should the interest pan out I may be getting everything worked out to start offering it. I know alot will be skeptical at first so it will be the brave souls that get it done and post pictures afterwards that will make others start to be interested or decide theyd rather pay for the high end finish. Its really something that depends on the type of person.
Fierotregg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotreggSend a Private Message to FierotreggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am an electroplating engineer, let me know if I can help.
Jimmy2s83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jimmy2s83Send a Private Message to Jimmy2s83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierotregg:

I am an electroplating engineer, let me know if I can help.

What types of plating do you work with?

I've worked with a wide variety of electro-chemical finishes.

Mainly Copper, Nickel, and chrome.
Also some brass, Tin, Zinc, as well as anodizing. Also worked with some electropolishing of Stainless Steel.
Did some passivation and conversion coatings only a handful of times.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock