Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Will a missing trunk light cause a battery drain?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Will a missing trunk light cause a battery drain? by Tweeder
Started on: 09-23-2013 10:31 PM
Replies: 22 (1311 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 09-25-2013 02:04 PM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the light out right now and the trunk is up as I'm doing work in there. After a few days I noticed the battery was dead, I don't think anything was left on.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't had the trunk light in my Formula in years. Never had an issue.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm, back to the drawing board then.

------------------

northstar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northstarSend a Private Message to northstarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll tell you what kept on draining my battery was my headlight motor. Go feel the motor if its warm its drawing power...good luck
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the hood up, not latched, I believe that will drain the battery whether there is a bulb or not.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northstar:

I'll tell you what kept on draining my battery was my headlight motor. Go feel the motor if its warm its drawing power...good luck

If its what ever under that knob that says "turn" then no it's as cold as it is outside right now(7).

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeder

1026 posts
Member since Aug 2012

Originally posted by Grantman:

If you have the hood up, not latched, I believe that will drain the battery whether there is a bulb or not.

Yes that's what I'm referring to.

------------------

AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a similar issue with two fieros here in my shop.

I think its called parasitic drain?

something somewhere is completing a circuit.

time to pull out the circuit tester and check all the connectors and clean the connections.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put the amp meter in series with the battery positive (or negative) and start pulling fuses. You will find where the problem is. Even a filter capacitor can go bad and draw current. A bad diode in the alternator can also cause a drain. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 09-24-2013).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Put the amp meter in series with the battery positive (or negative) and start pulling fuses. You will find where the problem is. Even a filter capacitor can go bad and draw current. A bad diode in the alternator can also cause a drain. Larry

Thats going to be my next move.

------------------

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not on my Fieros. I have left the decklid up for over a week in the garage with no bulb in it, no prob starting. Maybe some corrosion is in there allowing juice to pass thru if that is the case.
PFF
System Bot
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not possible. That's like having a lamp in your house with no bulb in it but the light switch is in the ON position, do you think there is electricity flowing to complete the circuit? It's not happening.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stand corrected X 3
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

Not possible. That's like having a lamp in your house with no bulb in it but the light switch is in the ON position, do you think there is electricity flowing to complete the circuit? It's not happening.

Well....on my 87 GT, two things happen when my rear deck lid is open. Trunk light comes on...and door ajar light comes on. If the bulb out of the trunk light then no power will draw from the trunk light circuit...however if there is something flaky going on with the door ajar light on the dash I suppose that could cause a drain anyway

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

I haven't had the trunk light in my Formula in years. Never had an issue.

Same situation. I bought car and it didnt have the trunk light.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I would suspect a parasitic draw causing your dilemma. What? I dont have a clue.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a Digital Multi Meter (DMM) and check the current draw. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery, put the DMM on amps setting, connect one lead of the DMM to the neg battery terminal and the other to the loose end of the negative cable. Make sure the car is OFF and the doors are closed to prevent a draw from the courtesy lamps. Read the DMM, it should be about 50 mA. if it's higher than that start disconnecting fuses and see if the amperage drops.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Infinity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfinitySend a Private Message to InfinityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made a simple trunklight switchtimer where its turned off after few seconds, just a few electronic parts, cost you a dollar
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

Yes that's what I'm referring to.

No it won't you have a problem somewhere else. the dash lights won't come on unless the key is in the on position.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cause of my power drain was worn headlight motors.Causeing a massive power drain.Hope it didn't kill the battery. Try disconnecting the single power wire to the right and left headlight motor and see if it retains a charge. If that doesnt work,check your charge gauge on the dash,way low or way high would indicate a bad alternator.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 09-24-2013).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Infinity:

I made a simple trunklight switchtimer where its turned off after few seconds, just a few electronic parts, cost you a dollar

Something like that would be cool for dome lights, especially if it faded out like a newer car..

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-25-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock