Started on: 09-23-2013 10:15 PM
Replies: 5 (414 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 09-24-2013 08:08 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My sons 86 GT has a driver side axle with a cracked inner boot that is now dripping axle grease. We cracked the boot when swapping motors, so I'm fairly confident the axle is still good. When I pull the axle, I just want to replace the boot, and then have a spare axle. However, Advance only offers a "outer" boot in their computer. Upon visual inspection, and NO measurements taken, the boots do look the same. Are they? Has anyone ever done this?

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DaytonTD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaytonTDSend a Private Message to DaytonTDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can tell you that my 5 speeds inners are the same on both axles, and outers are the same. The outer on one axle is NOT the same as the inner on that same axle. The inner has 3 triangle rubber protrusions for the tripod.

[This message has been edited by DaytonTD (edited 09-23-2013).]

paulmckibben

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulmckibbenClick Here to visit paulmckibben's HomePageSend a Private Message to paulmckibbenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dorman lists different part numbers for the inner and outer boots. See the link below, bottom of the page.

Paul McKibben
Norcross, GA

http://fierosails.com/AxleShafts_CVBoots.html
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I guess I'll try some other sources.

Jim
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jim, I was doing some axle work last week, I may have an inner boot if you want it. Not 100% sure but I took apart 3-4 axles, I think I have at least one inner boot. Let me know

Rob
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Jim, I was doing some axle work last week, I may have an inner boot if you want it. Not 100% sure but I took apart 3-4 axles, I think I have at least one inner boot. Let me know

Rob

I appreciate it. I'll be sending you a PM. Upon a closer inspection, the boots are different. BTW, it's for the driver side, inner, auto transmission.

Jim

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock