Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Scion wheels - will they fit? What will they need?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Scion wheels - will they fit? What will they need? by gtoformula
Started on: 09-23-2013 05:33 PM
Replies: 11 (960 views)
Last post by: Dre13Style on 09-30-2013 10:06 AM
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 GT with coil over rear suspension. I am considering replacing my stock 15"x7" factory lace wheels with Scion TC wheels. These wheels are the 17"x7" factory wheels that I researched as having a 45mm offset. I believe I read in one of the threads that the hub center for the Scion wheels is slightly smaller than the Fiero hub size and that they will need to be machined to a larger size. Also, I think that I read that the Scion wheels require a different lug nut than what is standard on Fieros. Can anyone copy me back with a list of the things that need to be done to mount these Scion wheels on my car? I'm trying to do this for cheap and don't want to sink a lot of bucks into this mod, but I also don't want to take on another project that requires too much work to make the Scion wheels fit.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scions have a 54.1mm hub bore, so yeah, you'll need to take 3mm out of the wheel to fit the Fiero. Lug nuts should be the same, though I guess it depends on what wheels you have on the car. Scions use standard mag style lugs - not the same as a Fiero, but reasonably common anyway.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thesameguy - thanks for the reply. OK. So the Scion has a 54.1mm hub. What size is the Fiero hub? Also, how do I machine the Scion wheels to increase the size of the hub? Is it important to make the hub the same size as the Fiero or could it be slightly larger?
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

thesameguy - thanks for the reply. OK. So the Scion has a 54.1mm hub. What size is the Fiero hub? Also, how do I machine the Scion wheels to increase the size of the hub? Is it important to make the hub the same size as the Fiero or could it be slightly larger?

If I remember correctly, 57mm. You would take them to a machine shop where they can chuck them up in a lathe and bore them out. The Fiero wheels are hubcentric, so they are made to utilize the hub for centering. If you bore them out to bug, you "could" still use them but then you are going to be relying on the lugs for centering. I wouldn't recommend boring them out to big, I mean if your going to use them then do it right, ya know?

I guess another way you "could" do it if you don't want to pay a machine shop to bore them out... Maybe use a cylinder hone, a snap gauge and micrometer (or at the very least a dial/digital caliper). However, cylinder hones aren't meant to take off a lot of stock, so it would be VERY time consuming.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 09-23-2013).]

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done three sets of Scion TC wheels. I did them on a milling machine, most shops don't have a lathe big enough to chuck a 17" wheel. I made a plug that i could bolt to the table to pick up the existing 54mm hole so I wouldn't have to indicate to zero every rim. Then I used a boring head and opened the bore to 57mm. You only have to open it up about 1/2" deep. I did one for a fellow forum member, I charged him $15 per wheel. I think most shops would charge a bit more, probably cost you about $100 for a set.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

If I remember correctly, 57mm.

It's actually 57.1 mm. This allows for a nominal 0.1 mm (0.004 in) clearance when mated with with the 57.0 mm Fiero hub.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-27-2013).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

It's actually 57.1 mm. This allows for 0.1 mm (0.004 in) clearance when mated with with the 57.0 mm Fiero hub.

Thanks Marvin! I at least was close in my rememberance .
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a set of Scion TC wheels machined at a shop - they charged 20.00 a wheel. You will need "Toyota" Lug nuts as these wheels utilize a "shoulder" lug nut versus the conical factory Fiero style. I went to Toyota and they were spendy!
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have experience with the 2011-2013 Scion TC rims? I messed up and assumed the bolt patter was the same as previous years (since it fit the fiero) but these ones are apparently 5x115!!!! I wonder if anyone has successfully moded them to work on a fiero yet
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rather than have Scion wheels machined I went with VW Golf wheels that are 7"x17" and have a 57.1 mm hub bore. Found a used set with 215/45R17 tires.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dre13Style:

Anyone have experience with the 2011-2013 Scion TC rims? I messed up and assumed the bolt patter was the same as previous years (since it fit the fiero) but these ones are apparently 5x115!!!! I wonder if anyone has successfully moded them to work on a fiero yet

It might be possible to have your hubs and rotors re drilled for that pattern.
PFF
System Bot
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because I wanted instant gratification I ended up ordering Wheel adapters. I will probably regret it but I already had the brand new wheels and tires so I figured I would give it a try. I read on of these forums someone was running high quality adapters and was doing well. I wish they would give an update

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock