Rear wing spiler by newfiejeff
Started on: 09-23-2013 06:14 AM
Replies: 13 (239 views)
Last post by: Corvus on 09-23-2013 10:30 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if this spoiler is suitable for a 1986, currently it has the cheap looking luggage rack on the back or whatever you call it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...em43bfcb7be6&vxp=mtr
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a stock Fiero spoiler.

Yes, it is suitable.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have to remove parts of the luggage rack to get this fit.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove parts....it is not staying even if I have to leave it plain...lol!!!!
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find another decklid. Filling and smoothing the luggage rack holes is a time consuming job, and they usually still show up after paint.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

Remove parts....it is not staying even if I have to leave it plain...lol!!!!

As mentioned, that will leave a lot of holes. I had an OEM luggage rack on a coupe. I just left the black strips on the decklid and reshaped the ends on a few and bolted them back down. that way I didn't have to mess with holes in the decklid and filling them.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

You may have to remove parts of the luggage rack to get this fit.

I saw a photo where the person left the luggage rack on when they added the spoiler. I believe the only thing they had to remove was the small crossbar of the rack. Didn't look bad with both on there.

Newfie, you may find that you will have to relocate one stud in each stand if you're installing it on a notchback, but the stands are made to allow for that. Probably have to make new holes in the mounting gaskets, too.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the spoiler is pictured on a fastback, he WILL have to relocate the stud.
Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

As the spoiler is pictured on a fastback, he WILL have to relocate the stud.

Isn't that a sweet design, though? Kudos to the engineers at Pontiac for making a dynamic solution like a stud that you can relocate to make the wing stands work for both models.

------------------

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Corvus:

Isn't that a sweet design, though? Kudos to the engineers at Pontiac for making a dynamic solution like a stud that you can relocate to make the wing stands work for both models.

I believe that was a production year change, though. I think the early stands were only designed for the notchback and had just 2 locations for the studs instead of the 3 of later years.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
I believe that was a production year change, though. I think the early stands were only designed for the notchback and had just 2 locations for the studs instead of the 3 of later years.

That is correct. When the fastback was introduced the bottom portion of the spoiler stands were slightly redesigned (i.e., material was added) to allow the relocation of the studs depending on if the spoiler being made were to be fitted to a notchback or fastback. On earlier Fieros that had the spoiler - the 1984 Indy and 1985 GT - the studs cannot be relocated.
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I should have an issue with this spoiler?
Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nah, you should be good from what I can see in the pics. You may have to move the rear studs from one hole to another to make it fit, though. All you need is a pair of pliers.
Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Corvus

97 posts
Member since Feb 2012

Nah, you should be good from what I can see in the pics. You may have to move the rear studs from one hole to another to make it fit, though. All you need is a pair of pliers.

DANG IT I DOUBLE POSTED AGAIN

[This message has been edited by Corvus (edited 09-23-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock