Reinstalling CAT ? by st88fiero
Started on: 09-22-2013 10:42 PM
Replies: 8 (248 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-24-2013 03:36 AM
st88fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for st88fieroSend a Private Message to st88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently purchased an 88 GT, completely stock except for K+N Air Filter and no CAT. I am considering putting the CAT back in the car, as many have mentioned previously, it is probably not really adding HP gains and the tradeoff of performance to the smell the car gives off is enough for me to think that I may want to reinstall a CAT back in car.

Any good suggestions on a good high flow replacement?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a straight pipe on my Formula for several years. I could no longer stand the stench of the non-catalyzed exhaust so a couple years ago I made a new intermediate pipe with this Magnaflow converter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-53004/

That converter has not significantly changed the sound of the exhaust, and it most certainly has not had a negative impact on the performance of the car. I would highly recommend this converter.

[This message has been edited by lateFormula (edited 09-22-2013).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smell?
Smell can be a big problem...
because running rich/lean, coolant leak, etc can wreck a new cat fast.

If using aftermarket ROM, cold or no Tstant, bad ECT and others sensors or wires to them, can cause Cat problem because engine runs rich. Rich condition will make Cat to run very hot.

Coolant from bad head casket etc is poison to O2 and Cat.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney has a hi-flow cat in his catalog and there are a number of standard and hi flow listed under FIERO exhaust on e-bay. - The info Ogre provided is very important to address.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Smell?

Very true. But there are a couple guys in our club who are running without cats.
I know their engines are not running rich (they belong to one of the club mechanics and his son) and I still hate to get behind them on "spirited" drives.
st88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for st88fieroSend a Private Message to st88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Smell?

If using aftermarket ROM, cold or no Tstant, bad ECT and others sensors or wires to them, can cause Cat problem because engine runs rich. Rich condition will make Cat to run very hot.

Coolant from bad head casket etc is poison to O2 and Cat.

When I first got car it would hardly run, I had put up previous post on the topic. After multiple Seafoam applications, the car now runs pretty good. It has always run very rich and I chalked that up to sitting 10 years and having to run a few tankfuls of good gas after the Seafom. My mechanic has checked all the sensors, temp senders, 02 etc:....all are fine, the car just stinks.

Upon starting I do get a small puff of blue smoke, and while the car is cold the smell is very strong, so that is why am I am thinking that if i get a CAT on this thing it may make it a bit easier to breathe around it!

Think that is a bad idea?
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think if it is running that rich that it will very soon just clog the cat and you will be worse off than before. Larry
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by st88fiero:

It has always run very rich and I chalked that up to sitting 10 years and having to run a few tankfuls of good gas after the Seafom. My mechanic has checked all the sensors, temp senders, 02 etc:....all are fine, the car just stinks.

Has your mechanic checked for leaky injectors?

I just got an '88 Formula that had sat for years and it runs fine now (after a new clutch, fuel pump etc), but it stinks like hell when running. It has the original cat (which I'm sure is empty), but before I replace it I'll be checking to see if my injectors are leaking.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by st88fiero:
Upon starting I do get a small puff of blue smoke, and while the car is cold the smell is very strong, so that is why am I am thinking that if i get a CAT on this thing it may make it a bit easier to breathe around it!

Think that is a bad idea?

Yes. Any oil burning can kill a cat and O2 too. Burning oil has more chemicals then just the smell that will plug, poison, and likely overheat the cat depending how bad the problem.
Cat makes heat as a byproduct to do its job. Normal operation temp is ~1500°F. Overheating cat is very dangerous. Can kill the cat, starter, and more. A "plugged" cat can kill engine power and may mean need to get a new muffler too because guts from the cat can plug the muffler.

Example See www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm section CAUSES OF CATALYTIC CONVERTER PLUGGING

Cat won't help when you start the car. Cat take some time to heat to work at all.
Oil smoke after parking likely means valve seals are bad. That will get worse.
Running rich is wasting fuel at least and heat the cat more, even w/o setting DTC.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-24-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock