|Originally posted by st88fiero:|
Upon starting I do get a small puff of blue smoke, and while the car is cold the smell is very strong, so that is why am I am thinking that if i get a CAT on this thing it may make it a bit easier to breathe around it!
Think that is a bad idea?
Yes. Any oil burning can kill a cat and O2 too. Burning oil has more chemicals then just the smell that will plug, poison, and likely overheat the cat depending how bad the problem.
heat as a byproduct to do its job. Normal operation temp is ~1500°F. Overheating cat is very dangerous. Can kill the cat, starter, and more. A "plugged" cat can kill engine power and may mean need to get a new muffler too because guts from the cat can plug the muffler.
Example See www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm
section CAUSES OF CATALYTIC CONVERTER PLUGGING
Cat won't help when you start the car. Cat take some time to heat to work at all.
Oil smoke after parking likely means valve seals are bad. That will get worse.
Running rich is wasting fuel at least and heat the cat more, even w/o setting DTC.
[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-24-2013).]