Failure to Start by fiero5150
Started on: 09-22-2013 09:52 PM
Replies: 8 (100 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 09-23-2013 02:44 PM
fiero5150

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a stock 1988 GT, 2.8L that will not start when I turn the ignition key. The starter does not spin and there is no sound of any kind (other than the seatbelt chime) when I try to start it. I put in a new battery. The radio and all the lights work. The horn works as well as the remote mirrors. When I turn the key on, only the "door Ajar" and "Seatbelt" light illuminate on the gauge cluster. All other icons on the cluster are dark. The "check Engine" light does not illuminate at any time, regardless of what position the ignition switch is in. The volt meter on the dash shows a reading of about 12.5v. I did notice that when I move the key to the "start" position, it cause a very slight jump of the speedometer needle. The plunger on the clutch switch moves in and out as I press on the clutch. Does anyone have any leads for me to chase in finding how I can get the car to start? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! Is this car new to you or did it work at one time? Look at the ECM connector near the battery....and make sure the fuses are good.

fiero5150

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the welcome and your response. The car is new to me and was not running when I bought it. What exactly am I supposed to check on the ECM connector? I will check the fuses.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its not turning over, neutral safety switch, maybe. standard check under the dash it is next to the clutch pedal and will stop the starter from engaging if the pedal is not pushed or it is bad or disconnected.

you can also just put a jump switch in to eliminate everything in the system, sell them at most parts stores and just connect the alligator clips to the starter and make sure the car is in neutral before doing this, set the brake and block the wheels, then push the button, if you put the clips on the right terminals it should turn right over without the car even being turned on. if the key is in the on position it should start right up. if that works then it is ether the NSS or a bad connection someplace else.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 09-23-2013).]

fiero5150

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK. I will go check that. Thanks.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero5150:

OK. I will go check that. Thanks.

Ya it could be just a bad starter and you will be wasting your time looking for things that may not be wrong so I would start at the starter then work my way back, back in the old days when all we had were rocks, I would just use a screwdriver and short out the terminals on the starter, the one marked start and the big power lead coming directly from the battery. the easiest way to make sure it is not the starter, but if it is a standard make absolutely sure it is in neutral before doing that, you could run yourself over.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check for voltage when you turn the key to start, clutch pushed in, on the purple wire at the starter. Use a 12v test light, it works better than a meter.

No voltage - then look at wiring

Voltage - then it is a starter problem.
fiero5150

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good on checking for voltage at the starter. I will hold off on shorting the starter for now (wll probably do later after I get some help for safety's sake) because with my luck and poor skills, I'm sure to run myself over.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shouldn't the OP see his SES light with the key on?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock