lowering Ball Joints by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 09-22-2013 05:32 PM
Replies: 8 (524 views)
Last post by: TONY_C on 09-25-2013 09:45 AM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when using Rodney's Lowering Ball joints, does that change the Alignment ? ( the lower control arm staying at the same angle but the upper a arm rising) being a' 85, does this produce a problem because the upper ball joint only has 2 positions ? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
all you guys used them and no one can answer this ?
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used them and took them out. I'm not trying to bash Rodney one bit, he's an upstanding guy and sells a lot of great stuff but the 1" lower ball joints didn't work well for me. They didn't lower my car all that much and after about 6 months the steering seemed weird so I looked at them and they had worked their way loose in the a-arms. I had them welded in and a few months later one of them ripped out of the a-arm, luckily as I was still in my parking lot at work and not driving 70mph. I am fully aware that there could have been an issue with my a-arms or the welds. I do think that the ball joints could have put some extra stress on the suspension by altering the geometry, I'm not sure. In any case, I changed them back to standard ball joints with replacement a-arms and cut half a coil and the front end is about where it was with the 1" lowering ball joints. I did have to get an alignment after putting in the new std ball joints because the toe was drastically different. There was not much change in the camber.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
eunospeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TonyC, this is my concern using the lowering ball joints too. I want to do some autox next year and this won't be easy on ball joints. As a result, I'm wondering if I bead-weld around the entire ball joint will it hold? I was hoping to just maybe use three spot welds for eaiser replacement. Thoughts?
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eunospeed:

TonyC, this is my concern using the lowering ball joints too. I want to do some autox next year and this won't be easy on ball joints. As a result, I'm wondering if I bead-weld around the entire ball joint will it hold? I was hoping to just maybe use three spot welds for eaiser replacement. Thoughts?

I had them welded by a pro, a guy my shop uses to weld our assemblies so I know he did it right. He put a generous bead in four spots. If you look at the a-arm, they are not really that beefy, especially at the edge closest to the tire which is where my a-arm failed.
eunospeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scary, just google ball joint failures.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:
I looked at them and they had worked their way loose in the a-arms. I had them welded in and a few months later one of them ripped out of the a-arm,

I've sold maybe 400-500 pairs of these and I am not seeing failures. Since you say both of yours worked their way loose I would have to guess it is from something specific to you? Did you run thru a ditch or something?? Did you take any pictures? Did you replace that a-arm that the ball joint was ripped from? Do you still have these parts and can you present some pictures or some in depth explanations and descriptions. What you have posted is very vague IMO.

PS: It is impossible for these to not lower you front end 1". They raise the spindles 1" which in turn lowers the front end 1".

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney,
I know you have sold a lot of these and I am in no way putting any blame on you. I drive almost all highway miles, over 20,000 miles a year. Of course I hit the occasional pothole but I have never hit a curb or anything like that. I do still have the a-arm in question, I can take a couple of pics in a few days. As for not lowering the car, all I can think of is that I went from a-arms with worn ball joints and worn bushings to another set of a-arms with new bushings and the 1" lowering ball joints. Perhaps some of the lowering was lost in the fact that the worn bushings had already made my car lower. I don't know, just a guess.

Please don't think I am bashing you, my son and I have purchased from your site a few times and will continue to do so. I was just relating my experiences with the ball joints. And we all know that Fiero a-arms are not the stoutest pieces ever made so the issue could have been with the a-arms just as easily.

Tony

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock