bigger gas tank by woodyhere
Started on: 09-22-2013 11:39 AM
Replies: 15 (575 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 09-24-2013 12:34 PM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been thinking about making a bigger gas tank. I have a 87 GT w/sbc and no cat in the way. It looks like the tank could be made longer with the fill tube coming out of the side instead of the end. I think the tank could be an inch or so deeper without causing ground clearance issues. It looks like the front could be extended at the same time. I'm thinking I'll make it out of stainless. I have to drop the tank anyway (when the snow flies) to put in a bigger fuel pump. If it looks like a can do, I'll take some build pics.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did look at the link earlier this year. I'm not a fan of aluminum tanks and thought stainless is a better choice. It is harder to work with but doesn't have dissimilar metals issues. It's less prone to age hardening and fatigue. Moving the vent to the top and both vent and filler to the drivers side should let the tank be longer where it does the most good - on the big end. The filler and vent hoses would be at a 90 degree to the tank and not need the rubber elbows. I plan to move the pump more towards the back of the car too. I'll probable put a small channel in the bottom of the tank for the cross member to fit in. It will probable take some minor tunnel mods as well. Thanks for the impute.
Woody

------------------
woodys 427

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not knowing any answers, whats the liability of building gas tanks ? Do they have to be approved, tested, DOT approved, etc. It just dont seem that easy than anyone who wants to can build a gas tank and operate it on the road. Is there any insurance liability issue? Will the insurance company pay a claim if it burns up in an accident? Just a few points to ponder.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think that if a tank is made of better than OEM materials and manufactured in a similar manor and design it would be no different than any other replacement tank. I'm not going to get real worried at this point. I have a much shorter driving range than I like and want to do something about it. I have been manufacturing products for 50 years. Some of the products were sold world wide. I know metal manufacturing. I think at this point it is more important to design a tank that will hold a significantly larger amount of gas. It will be as safe as a stock tank - at least as safe.

Woody
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im not criticizing you at all. I just wondered about it. Im just thinking out loud, but as much as insurance companies try to dodge payment...seems like having a homemade gas tank might give them a free out. Even if your in that business and not doubting your ability, are you saying there is no requirements or standards for a gas tank? Again, Im just asking. I know for example in an airplane, you cant even replace a bolt unless its an approved one.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't think you meant anything in a negative way. I sure didn't take it that way at all. Things are easily misunderstood when you can't look the other fellow in the face. I was just saying I'm not just anybody. I have been ISO certified several times and carry many certifications including some military. All this stuff I am experienced in is in metal. I have a proven track record which helps when you are treading in unfamiliar waters. I really wouldn't want to build something that isn't safe even if it was only for myself. I'm going to have to make some tooling even for just one. If it fits well and holds a significantly larger amount of gas it may be something to share. I get about 12 mpg so size really matters!

Woody
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one of my projects that I haven't found time for yet... I cut the entire fuel tank area out of a parts car, so I can flip it over and do all my measuring and fabrication while standing up and looking down. This isn't an item I would consider selling for liability reasons, but am fine with it being in my own car.

In my opinion one of the keys to maximizing the available space is to radius the top edges/corners of the tank to match the chassis curvature to minimize lost capacity.

PM me your email address and I can email you some files with dimensions for a larger tank with side wings that is used in some of the replicas. They are not mine, just some I came across, but forget where...
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fieroguru...PM sent

------------------
woodys 427

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
isn't there a difference in the tank sizes in the Fiero's? I thought in some of the early models it was 10 gallons and the newer ones were 11 gallons, if I am not mistaken.

25 miles to the gallon at ten gallons is just 250 miles is a small miles per tank but just how much more, have you measured just how much fuel difference yet between yours and the original yet?

one gallon isn't going to make much deference to me anyway. someone else it might, one thing I will also ask is how is this going to affect our fuel gauge readings?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get 11 to 12 mpg. I don't have a 2.8 or the 4 cyl. I have the bigger tank in my 87 GT, 11+gallons. If I can't make a tank with a big increase in capacity, it isn't worth making. I'm making the tank for myself. If it's a good design then I'll share the build with other guys having higher capacity needs. I'm not sure where you got the idea that if I made a bigger tank, it could only hold another gallon? If the position of the sender stays pretty much as stock, the gauge readings should be about the same as stock. The tank will be a little deeper so a small change to the float arm will probably be made - but not really necessary.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get away without a spare these days...lots of new cars dont have one. Why cant you cut out that area in the front and build a tank that fits in there ? You could do it as a sole tank or in addition to the stock one. I have to think theres room for at least a 10 gallon minimum size up there. It also dont hurt to add some weight over the front wheels. My GT 40 kit had a square front mounted steel tank sitting right over the front crossmembers from the headlites to firewall. I had plenty of storage room behind the seats for stuff, including a full size spare tire.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:

I get 11 to 12 mpg. I don't have a 2.8 or the 4 cyl. I have the bigger tank in my 87 GT, 11+gallons. If I can't make a tank with a big increase in capacity, it isn't worth making. I'm making the tank for myself. If it's a good design then I'll share the build with other guys having higher capacity needs. I'm not sure where you got the idea that if I made a bigger tank, it could only hold another gallon? If the position of the sender stays pretty much as stock, the gauge readings should be about the same as stock. The tank will be a little deeper so a small change to the float arm will probably be made - but not really necessary.

Woody

that's why I asked if you had measured the tank capacity, have you on the one you made?

and WTF are you running that only gets that crappy mileage? even my 3 ton Suburban's get better mileage than that.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 09-23-2013).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you need to reread the first posts. I am going to build a tank this winter. I will do the design before the build and will know the increased capacity before I ever make a part. I'm running a 427 roller cam motor. This dog can hunt!
Woody

------------------
woodys 427

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2013 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice, after it's done, maybe post up the blueprints in a "build thread"
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL Steve. I get 10 mpg highway with 454 in my 7 ton motorhome.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock