Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Clutch replacement, engine removal from above?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Clutch replacement, engine removal from above? by PRND3L
Started on: 09-20-2013 08:25 PM
Replies: 7 (790 views)
Last post by: jb1 on 09-23-2013 02:20 AM
PRND3L

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to replace my clutch in my 86 2M4, Ive read about the 2 methods of dropping the rear cradle and quasi dropping the rear cradle. Whilst my search I ran across a method on how to pull the engine up out of the deck lid. It is from "The Big Fiero Parts Book" (an official publication of the national kit car club); I am mostly curious if anybody has done this, and if it is a better way other then the standard method of dropping the rear end.

I have provided the link below, the engine removal is pages 5 and 6. Any information about this is appreciated.

http://captfiero.com/paperb...%20%26%20Secrets.pdf

Thanks,
Alex

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero 2M4 - The Racecar
2003 Subaru WRX - Daily Driver/AutoX
Georgia Southern University Eagle Motorsports Baja and Formula SAE
www.georgiasouthern.edu/racing

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I have done in the past is to suspend the motor from above with my cherry picker/engine hoist. Undo motor and trans mounts, disconnect any shift cable and clutch lines, undo rear ball joints, remove axles, undo cradle mounts and lower cradle to the ground, unbolt trans to get at the clutch.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't read the article, but I can pull an engine/trans, in my 2 car garage, by myself in about 2-3 hours. Not sure it gets much easier than pulling it out from the bottom.

Rob
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its easy and fun dropping the cradle. Make sure you look up the best thread on how to do it. Its called Dropping the cradle by the numbers. I've done it twice now and i'm 17 and its really not that challenging. Best of luck though, and I hope that clutch works out for you.

Click on my link if you need motivation And welcome to the forum!

-Mitch

------------------
My Car
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulling from the bottom is the conventional wisdom. These are 25-30 year old cars so sometimes conventional wisdom does not hold. My suggestion is to try to remove the front cradle bolts FIRST. If you can do that easily then proceed with the bottom removal. The front cradle bolts rusted can be a pain to deal with so it is best to know upfront then you can make the decision if you want to drop the cradle OR remove the engine from the top. If you choose to drop the cradle with rusted front cradle bolts you will have to cut off both ends(of each bolt) . This is a major time killer and 1 bolt may take as long as it takes an experienced person to drop the cradle with un-rusted front cradle bolts. This is hardened steel you are trying to cut through so not only do you have the time to consider but you have to buy new bolt assembly and the tools required for cutting if you do not already have them. With a Sawz-All, diamond blades are what I ended up using; another monetary expense.

If you are planning on keeping the car then I personally would suggest dropping the cradle and replacing the bolt assemblies, and protecting them with heavy grease so in the future if you have to drop the cradle it will be a lot easier. This is just giving you an idea of what to expect up-front rather than getting the bad news after everything else has been done. Being from Georgia you may not have the problem. I am from Texas and the car had been sitting outside for quite a while so I hope you do not have this issue.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 09-21-2013).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drop it, newer ideas are great, when they work, and one big pain in the ass when they don't.

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

Its easy and fun dropping the cradle. Make sure you look up the best thread on how to do it. Its called Dropping the cradle by the numbers. I've done it twice now and i'm 17 and its really not that challenging. Best of luck though, and I hope that clutch works out for you.

Click on my link if you need motivation And welcome to the forum!

-Mitch

Dropping the cradle will give you the opportunity to see things you wouldn't have if you pull it from the top. as well as easily repair anything that needs it much more easily with the cradle on the ground. just a suggestion from someone who has been doing it for a very long time. you never know what you may run into when pulling or dropping a motor and the easier it is to get at those problems the better when you have to fix things you didn't see or know about before. besides with all that out its the best time to paint and RR the engine compartment.

Originally posted by hcforde:

This is hardened steel you are trying to cut through so not only do you have the time to consider but you have to buy new bolt assembly and the tools required for cutting if you do not already have them. With a Sawz-All, diamond blades are what I ended up using; another monetary expense.

2 words,

Plasma cutter, you can rent them, I own one as I was a welder for 20+ years, takes like all of 5 seconds to cut threw anything from a bolt of hardened steel to carbide. I have cut frozen nuts off bolts and the heads off bolts without damaging any of the parts near it. of course, like I said I have been doing this sort of crap for more than a couple of decades and can cut things out with a plasma cutter that most people wouldn't even think about trying.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have pulled and reinstalled my cradle from the bottom 11 times (my record best) in one day during mock-up. I'm 67 so I don't get things done as fast as I used to. A couple of cheap cut off wheels will take care of the rusted bolts for a minimum amount of cash and time. I'm lucky enough to have a TIG welder. I heated up the nuts (without melting them) and they came right off. Don't reuse heated nuts or bolts. Great idea to do the front ones first. Great idea to grease the new hardened bolts. When you have the cradle out you have everything out of the way giving you a great chance to make things clean and pretty again. Be sure to safely lift the body. Best of luck!
Woody

------------------
woodys 427

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when I replaced my trans in the 3800 car I used one of the engine supports that goes across the top sets on each strut tower and holds the engine in place, the I just dropped the cradle and trans without having to undo hoses engine wiring etc.. saved some time best I recall (been 7-8 years ago) it hardly took 2 hours to pull and reinstall new trans,,,

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay