Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Ignition help!!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ignition help!! by kevin
Started on: 09-20-2013 05:06 PM
Replies: 14 (616 views)
Last post by: kevin on 09-23-2013 01:03 PM
kevin
Member
Posts: 2665
From: Elk Grove, CA USA
Registered: Jan 2000


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinClick Here to Email kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
I replaced my ignition switch on the steering wheel shaft. When I rotate my key, nothing happens😕The new key/lock ignition tumbler just rotates ALL the forward? What am I missing? Help me😞

Cordially,
kevin
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai
Member
Posts: 1534
From: Circle Pines, Minnesota
Registered: Feb 2012


Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you replaced the lock cylinder or the switch on the column under the dash?
IP: Logged
85 SE VIN 9
Member
Posts: 690
From: Harwood Heights, IL, USA
Registered: Apr 2010


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Click Here to Email 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happened that you needed to replace the lock cylinder? If the key was broken off in it someone may have broken things further down in the column. There is a little kit on a Help card at your autoparts store.
IP: Logged
kevin
Member
Posts: 2665
From: Elk Grove, CA USA
Registered: Jan 2000


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinClick Here to Email kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by seajai:

So you replaced the lock cylinder or the switch on the column under the dash?


Thanks!!
I replaced the lock cylinder. There is a switch on the bottom under the dash? Is there a YouTube video on how to do this fix? I sure appreciate it😊
Cordially,
kevin
IP: Logged
seajai
Member
Posts: 1534
From: Circle Pines, Minnesota
Registered: Feb 2012


Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by kevin:


Thanks!!
I replaced the lock cylinder. There is a switch on the bottom under the dash? Is there a YouTube video on how to do this fix? I sure appreciate it😊
Cordially,
kevin


Let's start out with the "WHY" you decided to replace your lock cylinder. What problem are you having? No start, no electrical power when the key is turned, power but the engine will not crank over, etc.... be specific. When you rotate the key, does it feel like it just spins freely? Turning the key moves a gear rack which moves a rod connected to the ignition switch so you should feel like rotating the lock cylinder is actually moving something. Was it working fine and then quit or was there something going on that kept getting worse and then finally quit. Ignition switches are not a common failure part.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 09-20-2013).]

IP: Logged
kevin
Member
Posts: 2665
From: Elk Grove, CA USA
Registered: Jan 2000


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinClick Here to Email kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by seajai:


Let's start out with the "WHY" you decided to replace your lock cylinder. What problem are you having? No start, no electrical power when the key is turned, power but the engine will not crank over, etc.... be specific. When you rotate the key, does it feel like it just spins freely? Turning the key moves a gear rack which moves a rod connected to the ignition switch so you should feel like rotating the lock cylinder is actually moving something. Was it working fine and then quit or was there something going on that kept getting worse and then finally quit. Ignition switches are not a common failure part.


Seajal,
Thanks for responding. On the "Why" I decided to replace my lock cylinder, I just assumed it went bad. I (mistakenly) thought the key lock cylinder could/should be the the only problem. My '85 SE Duke ran fine, new battery, newer starter, then on the latest 'start'---the lock cylinder began to rotate freely, about 90 degrees. Is there an ignition switch under the dash that I need to replace? Is there a video showing me how to do this? Thanks again for any help that can be offered.
Cordially,
kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 09-21-2013).]

IP: Logged
seajai
Member
Posts: 1534
From: Circle Pines, Minnesota
Registered: Feb 2012


Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what the inside of the steering column looks like. When you turn the key, the sector gear rotates, which moves the rack, which pulls on the actuator rod, which operates the ignition switch. The Ignition switch is attached to the top of the steering column under the dash. If you remove the lower trim panel, you should be able to see or feel the actuator rod on top of the column. (see bottom pic) With your hand on the rod, rotate the lock cylinder. If you feel the rod move, the problem lies in the switch or the rod has come disengaged from the switch. If the rod does not move, the problem lies gear or rack inside the column.



[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 09-21-2013).]

IP: Logged
theogre
Member
Posts: 29385
From: USA
Registered: Mar 99


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 550
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/088020-2.html#p77
See my Cave, Steering

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)


The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

IP: Logged
James Bond 007
Member
Posts: 8745
From: California.U.S.A.
Registered: Dec 2002


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by kevin:
Thanks!!
I replaced the lock cylinder. There is a switch on the bottom under the dash? Is there a YouTube video on how to do this fix? I sure appreciate it😊
Cordially,
kevin

The Ignition switch (not the key switch),can wear out over time and should be replaced if your vehicle has 150,000 miles or more.A worn out Ignition switch will prevent your car from starting and Thanks to "seajai" for the pics and Ogre for the link. As for YouTube,try the Youtube search box. Its fairly easy to replace.Use a mirror and a stubby screw driver.But remember,be sure to make sure your radio and accessors all work,prior to putting everything back togeter,because the switch can be adjusted, and if its not in the right position, your radio wont work under accesorie. Another critical switch to replace, would be the brake pedal switch (Brake Lights).When you say "The new key/lock ignition tumbler just rotates ALL the forward?" is there any spring like tension on the tumbler? Are you useing the New key? If yes,then Ide replace your Ignition switch on the steering colum.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 09-22-2013).]

IP: Logged
kevin
Member
Posts: 2665
From: Elk Grove, CA USA
Registered: Jan 2000


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinClick Here to Email kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by James Bond 007:

The Ignition switch (not the key switch),can wear out over time and should be replaced if your vehicle has 150,000 miles or more.A worn out Ignition switch will prevent your car from starting and Thanks to "seajai" for the pics and Ogre for the link. As for YouTube,try the Youtube search box. Its fairly easy to replace.Use a mirror and a stubby screw driver.But remember,be sure to make sure your radio and accessors all work,prior to putting everything back togeter,because the switch can be adjusted, and if its not in the right position, your radio wont work under accesorie. Another critical switch to replace, would be the brake pedal switch (Brake Lights).When you say "The new key/lock ignition tumbler just rotates ALL the forward?" is there any spring like tension on the tumbler? Are you useing the New key? If yes,then Ide replace your Ignition switch on the steering colum.


James Bond 007,
Thank you as well for responding. Indeed, my ignition tumbler 'rotates ALL the way forward' with no spring like tension on the tumbler. For edification, I bought a brand new key ignition tumbler. Guess what? The new tumbler behaved exactly like the old one. I also purchase a brand new ignition switch and am installing it now. You also mentioned that since I have my dash apart, I should replace by brake light switch? Is there a video on how to do this?

Cordially,
kevin

IP: Logged
85 SE VIN 9
Member
Posts: 690
From: Harwood Heights, IL, USA
Registered: Apr 2010


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Click Here to Email 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What seajal said. That long part with a slot in it is probably the issue. It's probably broken. You can buy a Dorman Help card that will also include the other parts which connect the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. If the lock cylinder didn't solve it, the ignition switch probably won't either. The problem is likely in between.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kevin
Member
Posts: 2665
From: Elk Grove, CA USA
Registered: Jan 2000


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinClick Here to Email kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by seajai:

This is what the inside of the steering column looks like. When you turn the key, the sector gear rotates, which moves the rack, which pulls on the actuator rod, which operates the ignition switch. The Ignition switch is attached to the top of the steering column under the dash. If you remove the lower trim panel, you should be able to see or feel the actuator rod on top of the column. (see bottom pic) With your hand on the rod, rotate the lock cylinder. If you feel the rod move, the problem lies in the switch or the rod has come disengaged from the switch. If the rod does not move, the problem lies gear or rack inside the column.







Seajal,
Grrrrr,
One final question: The acuator rod that connects to the cooumn mounted ignition switch; how do I get at it so I can replace it? [I have Dorman #83211] The small gear inside the column is broken and busted!!!!Your diognosis was correct. The key tumbler, once cranked to the "ON" position, does not move the acuator arm that connects to the ignition switch? Any videos? I want to curse.
Cordially,
kevin
IP: Logged
Hudini
Member
Posts: 7956
From: Shanghai, China
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniClick Here to Email HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't get your answer directly you may find it here. Scroll down on page 3 for the complete original thread. (long story on why the OP deleted the original thread contents)

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/088020-3.html

IP: Logged
James Bond 007
Member
Posts: 8745
From: California.U.S.A.
Registered: Dec 2002


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I remember,the brake pedal switch is pressed on by hand and wiggled or unscewed to get it off.Use a mirror and look behind the brake pedal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cbl7CAOHjE
http://www.ehow.com/how_639...ke-pedal-switch.html
After installing it will self adjust the first time you press the brakes.
IP: Logged
kevin
Member
Posts: 2665
From: Elk Grove, CA USA
Registered: Jan 2000


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinClick Here to Email kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by seajai:

This is what the inside of the steering column looks like. When you turn the key, the sector gear rotates, which moves the rack, which pulls on the actuator rod, which operates the ignition switch. The Ignition switch is attached to the top of the steering column under the dash. If you remove the lower trim panel, you should be able to see or feel the actuator rod on top of the column. (see bottom pic) With your hand on the rod, rotate the lock cylinder. If you feel the rod move, the problem lies in the switch or the rod has come disengaged from the switch. If the rod does not move, the problem lies gear or rack inside the column.






seajal,
I am in a BIG jam. Help me!!!! How do I remove the plastic surround that hides the sector, rack, actuator rod assembly? Please help me!!!!!

Cordially,
kevin
p.s. I also sent you a private message on PFF's private message link.

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock