High idle by NiotaFiero
Started on: 09-20-2013 12:16 PM
Replies: 20 (681 views)
Last post by: NiotaFiero on 10-04-2013 08:04 PM
NiotaFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1987 Fiero GT 2.8 that idles around 2000-2400 rpms. When I remove the snorkel on the intake an put my finger on the hole in the bottom , the idle drops to 900, what do I need to do to fix the idle speed?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say new IAC valve.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Find the vacuum leak. It's probably a cracked EGR tube.
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you covered the hole you ruled out an IAC issue. Look for a vac leak. Some culprits are the plastic lines, the egr tube, the brake booster line, etc.

You can use a 'smoke test'. I've always wanted to try it!

Engine off, basically you suck up a bunch of smoke and blow it into the intake via one of the small pipes...where the smoke comes out is your leak...check utube for examples of this.

I don't a few puffs on a cigar can't hurt right? If you get cancer don't blame me though ha ha.

Chay
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Slowbuild

252 posts
Member since Nov 2009
If you covered the hole you ruled out an IAC issue. Look for a vac leak. Some culprits are the plastic lines, the egr tube, the brake booster line, etc.

You can use a 'smoke test'. I've always wanted to try it!

Engine off, basically you suck up a bunch of smoke and blow it into the intake via one of the small pipes...where the smoke comes out is your leak...check utube for examples of this.

I don't smoke but a few puffs on a cigar can't hurt right? If you get cancer don't blame me though ha ha. Maybe get a buddy or your child to do it to be on the safe side (did I go to far?).

Chay
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I loosened the EGR and slid a piece of aluminum soda can in and retightened. Now idles at 900 rpm, what would be the effects if I just ran it this way? Where I live there is no testing of emmisions.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can do that. I'm not sure of the long-term effects, as many recommend changing the chip in the ECM. You may get a trouble code after a while.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a thread with awesome EGR information. I'm surprised you haven't gotten a code 32 trouble code yet.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045528.html

The block off plate is probably stuck open in your current EGR. That's why when you manually block it, it goes back to proper RPM's.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 09-20-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Here is a thread with awesome EGR information. I'm surprised you haven't gotten a code 32 trouble code yet.

I didn't read all four pages of that thread, but there's a big difference between an EGR solenoid problem and a cracked EGR tube (and/or a faulty EGR valve).

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

The block off plate is probably stuck open in your current EGR. That's why when you manually block it, it goes back to proper RPM's.

We need to know where exactly the OP stuck the "soda can". Was it where the EGR tube mounts under the upper intake, or was it where the EGR tube connects to the EGR itself?

Originally posted by NiotaFiero:

Okay, I loosened the EGR and slid a piece of aluminum soda can in and retightened. Now idles at 900 rpm...

Or is the soda can actually between the EGR assembly and the exhaust crossover?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-21-2013).]

NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is between the egr tube and the upper intake. It's where you have to remove the dist. cap and rotor button ,and it's still a pain to get to , to lossen two 10mm bolts.

[This message has been edited by NiotaFiero (edited 09-21-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I was assuming when he typed EGR, he meant EGR and not EGR tube, but I should never assume. However, vacuum does travel through the EGR when that block plate is open. so if its stuck open, I would imagine that would cauae a high idle. It is something to check.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Sounds like a bad EGR tube, which is common.

Jim
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, sorry, I meant to say between the EGR Tube and upper intake. After sitting over night I start car and high idle is back. Could it be the IAC since it idles down if I remove the IAC and plug the hole with my finger? Or would it be the EGR is stuck either open or closed?

[This message has been edited by NiotaFiero (edited 09-23-2013).]

NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is considered a normal idling RPM ?
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NiotaFiero:

What is considered a normal idling RPM ?

That 900 you saw is pretty close after warm up. I wouldn't try to change it.
Now that you put the blank between the EGR tube and the manifold and the rpm's dropped to normal, try this next.
Place the blank between the EGR tube and the EGR. If the idle is now back up high then the tube is cracked. If not, then there is something wrong with the EGR.

[This message has been edited by n7vrz (edited 10-03-2013).]

NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I found a leak in the egr tube and repaired it with a steel epoxy and removed the blank and now get @idle 900-1100 rpms. If I press the baffle in the egr and put my finger on the vaccum stem on the egr and release the baffle-it doesn't hold, the baffle immediately returns to the original position. Does this mean that the egr is bad ?
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NiotaFiero

215 posts
Member since Nov 2007
Thanks, I found a leak in the egr tube and repaired it with a steel epoxy and removed the blank and now get @idle 900-1100 rpms. If I press the baffle in the egr and put my finger on the vaccum stem on the egr and release the baffle-it doesn't hold, the baffle immediately returns to the original position. Does this mean that the egr is bad ?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that means the diaphragm in the EGR valve leaks and is bad.
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate your reply, guess that's the next thing to change out.
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NiotaFiero

215 posts
Member since Nov 2007
I took the egr off and cleaned it with carb cleaner and put city back on, seems to be working now, now it holds vaccum when pressed and inlet is held. Didn't have a new gasket but I guess I'll get one and install it just to be sure.

[This message has been edited by NiotaFiero (edited 10-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock