trip odometer worked until yesterday by woodyhere
Started on: 09-19-2013 10:21 PM
Replies: 9 (625 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 03-27-2014 12:21 PM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 GT sbc 5 spd. Am I right in thinking the trip odometer is electronic just like the odometer. My odometer works, the trip worked until yesterday. Probable a wiring issue? or is there a mechanical drive between the odometer and the trip? Looks like another "winter" project. The list so far is headliner, convert to fuel injection, enlarge gas tank, add side scoops, paint the nose, work on fuel gauge sender and the trip odometer.

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a lot of times the gear in the trip fails after it is pushed in about 10000 times. known issue.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On every fiero I've owned, you have to push in the reset button, and let it out slowly for the trip odometer to work right. Don't know why, but if the zeroes aren't all lined up right when you let out on the reset button, it'll just click.

Try resetting it slowly, and see what happens. It's a Fiero Feature.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I.have also found that reseting the odometer slowly while moving helps as well. I usually do.this as i am pulling away from the gas station.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a common problem for the trip odometer to not work correctly. I have to do the same as what is mentioned in the previous two posts - roll forward a little bit while slowly depressing the button. If that doesn't work then I have to mash on it a few hundred times.

It's fun relying on a half-working trip odometer when your fuel gauge doesn't work
BHall71

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurtz:

I.have also found that reseting the odometer slowly while moving helps as well. I usually do.this as i am pulling away from the gas station.

What he said works for me. If I do it sitting still it will usually get stuck.

Brian

BHall71

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BHall71

339 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by lurtz:

What he said works for me. If I do it sitting still it will usually get stuck.

Brian

Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got my '88 GT and it has the same problem. Is there a fix, or do we just have to live with it?
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son's 87 GT has a similar problem, you can reset the trip odometer in the usual manner, but it will sometimes slip over time and jump up to show several hundred miles. A local speedometer repair shop told me they are not repairable but I don't know if that means replacing the entire assembly or just the trip odometer part of the gauge? I will probably try to find one in a local junkyard sometime and experiment for myself. I find it hard to believe that this subject isn't covered more on Pennock's.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curtisk1060:

My son's 87 GT has a similar problem, you can reset the trip odometer in the usual manner, but it will sometimes slip over time and jump up to show several hundred miles. A local speedometer repair shop told me they are not repairable but I don't know if that means replacing the entire assembly or just the trip odometer part of the gauge? I will probably try to find one in a local junkyard sometime and experiment for myself. I find it hard to believe that this subject isn't covered more on Pennock's.

I think it has something to do with the way the trip odometer is connected to the regular odometer, that is mechanical I believe and works by gears from the regular odometer. I could be wrong but that would be my guess as in if you do it several times it works fine. anyone have a spare dash board they can actually look at from the back and see might be able to shed some more light on the subject. I know the old ones where mechanical and with car manufacturers wanting to save every nickel they can during assemble I can see it never have changed until they went to digital odomiters and trip odometers like they did around 2000.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-27-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock