3800sc dies then restarts while driving by jaybug56
Started on: 09-18-2013 11:19 PM
Replies: 5 (289 views)
Last post by: jaybug56 on 09-21-2013 09:26 PM
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This just started 2 days ago. 3800 sc from 98 Regal and a 4 speed manual.
The swap has been running fine for 3 months and now this happens.

Driving to work the other day and the motor just dies. Was under slight excelleration and the I felt the car slow down and no throttle response. Pushed in the clutch. Looked at dash, alt light on, oil light on, tach at zero. Slowly let the clutch out and it restarted and I drove the last 2 miles with out problems. On the way home at the end of the day the same thing happened. This time I noticed that the speedometer is not working any more. Car died twice on the way home, the second time took longer to restart. Got home and left the car running while wiggling all the connectors trying to get it to die or at least stumble. Nothing. Checked for any codes, but nothin.

The next day the same thing happened. This time I drove with a scanner capturing live data but saw nothing. Or maybe I should say I don't know what I'm looking for. Scanner also shows "vehicle speed = 0".

So, is this happening because vss is bad?
What else should I look for?

Thanks for the help
Jay
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds maybe CPS related..Either the actual sensor or maybe the ICM harness. Alao check the ground wire on the ICM harness to insure it is still intact all the way..
jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Sounds maybe CPS related..Either the actual sensor or maybe the ICM harness. Alao check the ground wire on the ICM harness to insure it is still intact all the way..

Would that be Crank Position Sensor?
Wouldn't that cause a trouble code?

I will check and recheck all of your suggestions. I have not yet pulled the ICM harness for a close inspection.

Thanks
Jay
JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just went through something very similar recently although my problems were slightly different. I had two problems and one trouble code

1. Random no-starts
2. Engine would die while going 25mph down the road, would usually make a lot of popping noises when this happened and once made an extremely loud backfire (Engine would always start right back up after dying)
3. Trouble code P0336 (18x performance issue)

I had the crank position sensor replaced and have not experienced the problem since. The problem usually happened to me 3-4 times a week before I replaced the crank sensor. It can be tricky trying to tell whether it's a crank sensor or an ICM. In my case the trouble code told me. As far as I'm aware losing the VSS signal should not kill the car. My P0336 code would be thrown typically under normal driving conditions not associated with the car dying or not starting. I have not had the code reappear since replacing the Crank position sensor.

Is it correct to say that you had a vss signal before (functioning speedometer) and it has completely stopped functioning?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybug56:

Would that be Crank Position Sensor?
Wouldn't that cause a trouble code?

I will check and recheck all of your suggestions. I have not yet pulled the ICM harness for a close inspection.

Thanks
Jay

Yes crank position sensor...Most the time no code is thrown..

jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all the people for all the great suggestions. I got digging around looking at the ICM harnes first . I traced the harness with my fingers trying to feel if there was any damage from chaffing or the belts. Pretty hard to see anything in there so I felt around from the top and thought I felt a single wire hanging out of the harness going nowhere. I had to put it up on jack stands and crawl underneath to get a good look at the wire I felt from up top. Sure enough, a ground wire broke off the terminal. Fixed all that mess and after the first drive it is running without any problems. As far as the speedometer not working, same thing. When I first had the problem I went and wiggled every wire and connector under the hood. The wires running to the vss got cut by the tripot boot clamp.

I was about to just throw a bunch of parts at the thing in hopes of getting the right part replaced. That would have been a waste. And in the process I gained some knowledge. Thanks again

Jay

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock