Steering column bearing by raysr11
Started on: 09-18-2013 10:20 PM
Replies: 2 (438 views)
Last post by: raysr11 on 09-19-2013 12:13 AM
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just purchased an '84 Fiero not running. The key was lost so I had to pull the wheel off and install a new switch. I have done this before with my '85 but it was some time ago. While starting to reassemble I bumped the shaft and a cone shaped washer jumped out of the bearing making the shaft very loose. I'm not sure that it was a bearing retainer but I think it inserted between the bearing and the shaft. This conical shaped piece has vertical grooves around it every so far. It is curled in somewhat on one end. I cannot get it to fit around the bearing. Does it in fact fit around the bearing tightening the whole assbly up or how does it go in there? Or does the spring push on this retainer keeping the bearing in? Ok, it's the race pre-load cup I'm having trouble with. I can't get it to go into the race.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by raysr11 (edited 09-18-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The spring pushes the retainer in.
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much for that information. So you just put it on the shaft put the spring on and the spring and the retainer self-align in the race? Because I tried and tried to start it in the race and got nowhere, without the spring.

[This message has been edited by raysr11 (edited 09-19-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock